Metallic Look

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me how I can get that metallic look on a cake?I"m trying to make a wine bottle cake. Thanks!

6 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 7

Metallic luster dust. You can mix some luster dust with vodka or vanilla extract, and use that to paint directly onto your cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 7

i just ordered copper and bronze air brush color by americolor from global sugar art. pme has it in a can spray..and then your dust colors can be mixed with everclear,etc. to paint on your cake..hth

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 7

1st: WELCOME!!!!! warning CC could be your new addiction.

------

you use luster or platinum or disco or other metallic food safe dusts.
Global Sugar Arts carries a wide selection.

usually they are mixed with some type of food-safe solvent (in essence making your own paint from scratch: pigment (the dusts) and medium (the solvent)

solvent options -- all involving some alcohol content:

a flavoring extract such as lemon or almond -- some prefer this as lowest alcohol, but others don't due to high water amount that can soften fondant.

cheap -- really cheap -- vodka (unflavored) or cheap clear rum (this isn't the time to be bringing out the Stoli, etc.) --- higher alcohol, less water = faster drying and less chance of melting -- avoid clear alcohols with distinctive tastes (gin, etc.)

everclear -- almost pure alcohol -- very little residue left on cake, dries fast (almost too fast).

---

dusts can also be thinned and shot with an airbrush.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

cheap -- really cheap -- vodka (unflavored) or cheap clear rum (this isn't the time to be bringing out the Stoli, etc.) --- higher alcohol, less water = faster drying and less chance of melting -- avoid clear alcohols with distinctive tastes (gin, etc.)

everclear -- almost pure alcohol -- very little residue left on cake, dries fast (almost too fast).

---

dusts can also be thinned and shot with an airbrush.

AWWW! I guess that rules out the Jamacian rum, too. Well, DH will be happy - it's all his. icon_wink.gif

BTW: I remember an epi of Ace of Cakes where they were replicating the Stanley Cup. Geoff said that you can't get an edible silver that would make it look the same. But that may have been a few years back, and things have progressed. Nice to know. I'm doing a football helmet soon and will need to paint the mouth guard silver.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

AWWW! I guess that rules out the Jamacian rum, too. Well, DH will be happy - it's all his. icon_wink.gif

while quality control is always important, the sampling of liquids use to thin dust for painting or spraying may result in you painting the town red and spraying the contents of your tummy all over the place!

(Appleton Gold! hic!)

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

while quality control is always important, the sampling of liquids use to thin dust for painting or spraying may result in you painting the town red and spraying the contents of your tummy all over the place!

(Appleton Gold! hic!)

I must have been into the rum already. I can't spell JAMAICAN.

Would you like Coke with that quality control?? icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%