Annoyed With Making My Own Fondant. Advice?

Decorating By kc6313 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 2:55am by HeatherWantsCake

kc6313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kc6313 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 11

I have been using Michele Foster's Fondant (LOVE THE TASTE!) But, I'm stuck in a rutt with it. My last 2 cakes turned out great, but I made a new batch of fondant and everytime I rolled it out, it looked fine, until I picked it up and it promptly crumbled. Any advice?

I'm reverting to buttercream for the cake for a friend today.. I feel awful because I wanted the fondant look. I used the viva paper towel trick and it's fairly smooth, but just not the same as fondant. At least it'll still taste great!

I'm considering also just starting to buy fondant. Maybe Satin Ice? What's the shelf life on the package kind like that?

10 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 11

I love, love Satin Ice! But to me Marshmallow fondant tastes better...I just hate making it! I'm not sure of the shelf life for Satin Ice but I've read somewhere that it lasts for maybe a month or 2. Not sure how true that is because mine don't last that long, I use it so much! HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 11

I use Satin Ice and it lasts in the tub for up to a year (correct me if I am wrong).

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 11

The Satin Ice does last up to a year stored well sealed in the tub. I keep it in the original plastic bag, put that in a large zip lock and then back in the tub.

I just got Fondarific and loved it (you can order samples from their site). It was easier to use than the Satin Ice and my family likes the taste of it even better. Personally, I think it's too sweet, but then again, I don't normally eat all of the fondant (any type) on a slice of cake.

I switched from making my own because I couldn't count on it to turn out right due to weather. After two messed up batches, DH said to just start buying it, so I have beenicon_smile.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I use and it lasts in the tub for up to a year (correct me if I am wrong).

That is so good to know, as I said I read somewhere that it was only a few months. I'm glad I used all the fondant because had I thrown it away thinking it wasn't good anymore, I would've been upset lol!

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 11

Ok - well now you have me worried! I'm working on a cake for an upcoming fair (needs to be delivered Thursday morning). I also want the fondant look. My first cake used Wilton fondant - which I promptly tasted and wasn't a real fan of. So thought the next best thing would be to make my own marshmallow fondant...

This thread is throwing me off though, and I don't have time to order Satin Ice to get it here in time. Do any of you have any suggestions? The fondant recipe I was going to try is as follows:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/20574/mars...?cat=22

TIA for any advice...and thanks kc for the post. Better to find out now then when I try and roll it out the night before I have to deliver it. icon_redface.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 11

Most instruction sheets say to roll out fondant on corn starch or powdered sugar. The downside to this is that it can dry out rather quickly. Have you tried rolling it out on a lightly greased surface? I'm new to fondant so I don't know if it will help your problem but I know that when using MMF it sure has helped me!

Good luck!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 11

When I am kneading my fondant and realize that it has gotten a little dry, I simply put a small dab of Crisco on my palms and rub them together before I continue kneading.

-Debbie B.

kc6313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kc6313 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

When I am kneading my fondant and realize that it has gotten a little dry, I simply put a small dab of Crisco on my palms and rub them together before I continue kneading.

-Debbie B.

I did that, as that is what I had learned from the prior batch, and it STILL completely crumbled icon_sad.gif I have no idea what I did..

I heard about fonderific as well! Maybe I'll order samples of both and see what will work best. I'm tired of wasting ingredients on making my own fondant!!!

Thanks for all the advice ladies! Hopefully this will be the end of my fondant nightmares...the consistency IS the issue..

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #10 of 11

Let us know how the new fondant does.

-Debbie B.

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caike

This thread is throwing me off though, and I don't have time to order to get it here in time. Do any of you have any suggestions? The fondant recipe I was going to try is as follows:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/20574/mars...?cat=22

I've only ever made my own MMF - never bought fondant of any kind - and that is pretty much the recipe I use. I've never had a problem with it crumbling, find it really simple to make (but really gooey - if you do it by hand (I always do), use a lot of shortening on your hands), and it tastes pretty good, too. Don't be afraid! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%