I Made Glow In The Dark Icing!!

Decorating By Lisa540 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm by mjk350

Lisa540 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 9

I am so excited! I finally did it! Just wanted to share with you all how I did it. (thanks to a cake contest show for the inspiration!)
It will glow under a black light.

I used clear piping gel. Heated that in a sauce pan. Added tonic water (the ingrediant that will make it glow) I used this for slime on a Ghostbusters cake so I used enough tonic water to make it very thin. I added my coloring at this point. After heating it very well I added plain gelatin. Let it set for 2 hours and it was thick enough to spoon over the cake for slime.
The possibilities are endless. I made another batch later on that was thicker. Like the piping gel that wilton makes. A side note tho, the slime appeared to "eat" the fondant after a few hours. It is something that you want to wait to put on.

I loved doing this cake. It was a mess but so fun. The boys loved it!

I couldn't attach a photo so here is the link for the Ghostbusters cake I posted today. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1454532

8 replies
micnmax2003 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 9

Wow!! fantastic idea...and cake icon_smile.gif

kristyokronley Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 9

Your cake is awesome! Thanks for sharing your discovery. With Halloween come up the ideas are swarming in my head! How fun. Can't wait to try it!!!

Kandy4283 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 9

that is really cool! good job on the cake!

abra526 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 9

Just in time for some awesome Halloween cakes! Thanks for the inspiration!

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 9

Great Job!!

Writecakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 9

Wow! So cool! I saw Mary Maher do that and wondered how it worked. Thanks SO much for posting all the info. I can't wait to try it! icon_smile.gif

JawdroppingCakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 9

I tried to do that for a quinceanera cake I did yesterday and it didn't work for me. I only used the piping gel and the tonic water. I guess it needs the gelatin. I will try it like that next time though.

mjk350 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 9

Your cake looks awesome!!! Thanks for sharing this idea. thumbs_up.gificon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%