Isomalt Jewels Are Foggy? Syrup Is Way Too Thick

Sugar Work By amberkw Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm by backermeister

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #1 of 5

So I overcooked the 1st batch & I still used it.Got more gold color. Made another batch & when I cook it till 350 like the recipe says, I seriously have 2 seconds to get it into the molds. I end up having to chip away excess candy from the jewels, cause when I pour it, its so thick already I cant get it in the molds nicely. Should I cook it until 325 maybe? Why is it foggy? I want them to be pretty, clear & bubble-less. Is there a scratch sugar recipe that works better?

4 replies
backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 5

You should remove your isomalt from the range a little before 350 cause the sugar continues to rise in temp even after removal. Air bubbles can be removed from your jewels by running a heat gun or torch lightly over them once they are poured. hth icon_smile.gif

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 5

I dont have one. Would that melt the mold?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 5

Hard Crack is only supposed to be 302, so it sounds like you are heating it too much to begin with. I just used isomalt today for the first time. I'll fill you in later. You can let it sit for a few minutes before pouring to let the bubbles settle down.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 5

It has been awhile since I've used my isomalt. I went onto one of my pastry forums just to update myself on a few things and here is what I found. Isomalt should be cooked to between 320-338 degrees. The higher temp would be used if you needed a stronger/harder piece of sugar. If you color your isomalt then you need to do so at about 290 degrees so that the liquid will evaporate (no sticky sugar then). It is best to pull your isomalt off the range a couple of degrees short of your goal temp and plunge the bottom of your pan into an ice bath to stop overheating. Dont leave the pan in the ice water just give it a quick dip. Do this carefully! It is ok to let the pan set for a few minutes for minimal bubbles. If bubbles thereafter than you have the torch method (could use a small creme brulee torch). You could also lightly tap your mold once you fill it to bring the bubbles to the top(back) of your jewels. Don't know how heat resistant your mold is so torching might be out.hth icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%