My Ri Popped Off My Mmf

Baking By agentdorkfish Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 12:47am by cinderspritzer

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 6

I made an adorable batch of cookies topped with chocolate MMF. I added details with RI and on a lot of the cookies the RI came off. What did I do wrong this time?

5 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 6

RI has a tendency to get brittle as it dries. Were your cookies refrigerated before you added the RI? Had the fondant had time to settle before you added the RI? What RI recipe did you use?

agentdorkfish Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, the fondant had settled. I used the RI recipe that came with my Wilton meringue powder. Is there another recipe that's better? That was the first time I'd used RI.

cinderspritzer Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 6

You should definitely try Antonia74's recipe. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1983/antonia74-royal-icing

You can use a regular 2 lb bag of powdered sugar and not worry about measuring out the extra 1/4 lb.

It tastes better and seems to be a little stronger than the wilton versions. Just add a tsp of lemon juice and some vanilla flavoring after it's mixed for the 10 minutes. A couple tsp's of light corn syrup if you want it to be shiny. It dries fairly fast and is strong for stacking. Like most RI, it fades if left in bright light, but does pretty well in normal lighting.

agentdorkfish Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I'm going to try that recipe next time. Anything has to taste better than Wilton's.

cinderspritzer Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

a little lemon juice goes a long way to neutralize the musty taste and smell of the egg whites in any RI recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%