Need A Coconut Cake That Is Not Too Sweet

Baking By sjmoral Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 7:21pm by JGMB

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone done this?A coconut cake that is not too sweet... The one I make is just a white cake from a box mix and then has coconut milk or cream (don't remember) over it and I DO think is sweet.... so any recipe that you already know it's not too sweet... This is the only request my friend keeps asking for. This is my wedding gift for the couple and I want to make it special (although I don't really like what she wants but I'll try to make it work)
Thanks.
Sheila

2 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 3

i love the shubox's coconut cake. it is not overly coconut or sugary.

http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....ake-102696

diane

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 3

This gets rave reviews when I make it, and there are always requests for the recipe. Sorry, I'm unable to attach for some reason, so I had to cut and paste:

Simply White Cake
(from The Complete Book of Baking by Pillsbury)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
½ cup shortening (I used unsalted butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 egg whites

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9â round cake pans. In a large bowl, blend flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk and shortening at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add vanilla and egg whites; continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 for 27 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely. Fill and frost as desired.

Coconut variation: Stir 1 cup flaked coconut into the batter before pouring into greased and floured pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%