Need Advice On Chocolate Butter Cream

Baking By alene Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 2:32am by madgeowens

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 10

It doesn't seem to matter what chocolate butter cream recipe I use, when I start to smooth it out, it's not an even color. Seems to have darker or lighter streaks in it. TIA

9 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 10

are you using cocoa powder to make it and do you add that before the ps? I do it like that and it comes out ok, however I usually make it pnutbutter chocolate, maybe thats why.hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:02am
post #3 of 10

i have better luck with toba garrets chocolate recipe than any chocolate i use. don,t know why.. it doesn.t streak like some others. hth

alene Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 10

I normally sift the cocoa in with the ps. I have used a couple different recipes and still get the same result.

Does the toba garrets chocolate recipe crust? I may have to give it a try next time. Thanks madge and icer101

Sh1McDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sh1McDonald Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 10

I was frustrated with chocolate buttercream myself until I was recently at a local cake shop. The owner was so kind to share tips and recipes with me. She said the secret to a fudgy chocolate buttercream is to first melt the butter and add the cocoa to that before adding ps, light cream and vanilla. I was skeptical even though she showed me pictures of beautiful wedding cakes covered in it. I tried it and was amazed, as was my husband at the taste icon_smile.gif I thought that if you melted the butter it would be runny or that you'd have to add so much ps that it wouldn't be very dark but I was proven wrong...I am a lot as I am so new at this icon_smile.gif

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 10

when I make chocolate buttercream I use the nestle brand pre-melted chocolate packs instead of cocoa. hth icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 10

it could be because some of the cocoa gets stuck at the bottom of the bowl so when you scrape it it will be darker than the rest... make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl several times during mixing.

alene Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 10

jamiekwebb, that could be my problem. If knowone else is having that problem, then there's something I'm not doing right. Next time I'll make sure that I scrpe the bowl several times before using. Thanks for all the advice.

cakebaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker55 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #9 of 10

I always sift the powdered sugar together with the cocoa. I've not had streaking problems.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #10 of 10

I never sift the cs and cocoa, but I think not scraping may be the culprit....icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%