Toba Garrett Spackling Technique

Decorating By buggus Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm by baycheeks1

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 9

Have any of you tried this?? And do you find great success with it?

8 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #2 of 9

I've done it. It's a good way to stiffen buttercream without adding more powdered sugar.

I also used it to build up a rounded nose on a spaceship cake that I was covering with fondant--it worked great. I've filled in unexpected cake cracks with it and built up under sagging square corners.

HTH
Rae

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 8:20am
post #3 of 9

It is quite common practice here. If you look at my Octopus and diver cake - the arms and feet are made with cake spackle as core and are covered in fondant. In my Dinosaur cake, the egg under the dino baby is again cake spackle covered with sugarpaste.
There is saying here "A good baker has no wasted cake" - meaning everything you cut off, slightly overbake etc. you can use as cake spackle or cake balls which use the same basis.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:53am
post #4 of 9

I have, and it's OK, but now I'm a setting ganache girl all the way!

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 9

What about using the spackle technique for only covering in buttercream? I want a very smooth buttercream, can't this work also for just that?

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 9

What is the technique? Dont think I've ever seen it, or atleast dont know thats the name of it...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycheeks1

What is the technique? Dont think I've ever seen it, or at least dont know thats the name of it...

It's the same thing as making cake balls, mush up cake with a touch of frosting. For cake balls, roll into balls and dip in chocolate. For spackeling just spackel with it. It's in one of her books.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 9

I remember Macsmom posting that she makes a cakeball-like mixture and uses it for dams...I thought that was a cool idea.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 9

Interesting...didnt know that...thanks for the info bob

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%