Please Help!! Need Help With Coloring Fondant

Decorating By BeginnerCaker Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm by BeginnerCaker

BeginnerCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeginnerCaker Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 10

Hello fellow cakers,
I have a cake for tomorrow and I am having problems coloring my fondant brown, is there a trick? I have never had a problem with any other color but I am trying to get a nice chocolate brown and it's just not working, no matter how much I use, it doesn't get to that color plus the more I add the more the consistency of the fondant changes. Had to throw away a whole batch of fondant last night. Any help would be SO appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

9 replies
xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 10

Hi!
Try mixing in some red or burgundy if you have, even a drop or two of blak could help.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 10

Could you paint it? With alcohol* & brown color? It might be a little streaky, but you can mottle it all together with a sponge.

And for going forward--don't toss out weird fondant--let it set overnight & try it again. Sometimes it rejuvenates over night.

*everclear, lemon extract, vanilla, vodka, etc.

If you try this--test it on a piece of scrap fondant and let the test piece dry too. See how it does first.

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Could you paint it? With alcohol* & brown color? It might be a little streaky, but you can mottle it all together with a sponge.

And for going forward--don't toss out weird fondant--let it set overnight & try it again. Sometimes it rejuvenates over night.

*everclear, lemon extract, vanilla, vodka, etc.

If you try this--test it on a piece of scrap fondant and let the test piece dry too. See how it does first.

K8memphis i do the same leaving my weird fondant to settle overnight and it usually comes good.. Especially for darker colours.
beginnercaker For brown you could try adding a bit of cocoa as well to help with the consistancy and the colour.. Hope it comes together for you icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 10

Yes what WildWolfey said about the cocoa and add shortening to balance it out--again you're probably gonna wanna let it rest overnight.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 10

I was having the same problem with fondant. I wanted a dark brown and ended up with a very light color that was not brown. I am going to try some of the suggeastions given here. Thanks icon_smile.gif

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 10

Wilton adds melted candy melts in their recipe. You might want to try that. You can get the recipe online or in their yearbook.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 10

I should add that I use airbrush color and everclear when I paint.

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 10

Along the lines of adding cocoa, if you were making a new batch, could you make chocolate fondant? I think I've seen recipes.. then it'd start out brown and probably wouldn't take as much colour to get to where you need it to be.

BeginnerCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeginnerCaker Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much for your input and advice, I will definitely try these suggestions!! Thanks for your help, I can always count on you!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%