Please Help!! Need Help With Coloring Fondant

Decorating By BeginnerCaker Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm by BeginnerCaker

BeginnerCaker Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 10

Hello fellow cakers,
I have a cake for tomorrow and I am having problems coloring my fondant brown, is there a trick? I have never had a problem with any other color but I am trying to get a nice chocolate brown and it's just not working, no matter how much I use, it doesn't get to that color plus the more I add the more the consistency of the fondant changes. Had to throw away a whole batch of fondant last night. Any help would be SO appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

9 replies
xinue Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 10

Hi!
Try mixing in some red or burgundy if you have, even a drop or two of blak could help.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 10

Could you paint it? With alcohol* & brown color? It might be a little streaky, but you can mottle it all together with a sponge.

And for going forward--don't toss out weird fondant--let it set overnight & try it again. Sometimes it rejuvenates over night.

*everclear, lemon extract, vanilla, vodka, etc.

If you try this--test it on a piece of scrap fondant and let the test piece dry too. See how it does first.

wildwolves Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Could you paint it? With alcohol* & brown color? It might be a little streaky, but you can mottle it all together with a sponge.

And for going forward--don't toss out weird fondant--let it set overnight & try it again. Sometimes it rejuvenates over night.

*everclear, lemon extract, vanilla, vodka, etc.

If you try this--test it on a piece of scrap fondant and let the test piece dry too. See how it does first.

K8memphis i do the same leaving my weird fondant to settle overnight and it usually comes good.. Especially for darker colours.
beginnercaker For brown you could try adding a bit of cocoa as well to help with the consistancy and the colour.. Hope it comes together for you icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 10

Yes what WildWolfey said about the cocoa and add shortening to balance it out--again you're probably gonna wanna let it rest overnight.

Ivy383 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 10

I was having the same problem with fondant. I wanted a dark brown and ended up with a very light color that was not brown. I am going to try some of the suggeastions given here. Thanks icon_smile.gif

nicki9774 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 10

Wilton adds melted candy melts in their recipe. You might want to try that. You can get the recipe online or in their yearbook.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 10

I should add that I use airbrush color and everclear when I paint.

HeatherWantsCake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 10

Along the lines of adding cocoa, if you were making a new batch, could you make chocolate fondant? I think I've seen recipes.. then it'd start out brown and probably wouldn't take as much colour to get to where you need it to be.

BeginnerCaker Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much for your input and advice, I will definitely try these suggestions!! Thanks for your help, I can always count on you!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%