Need Ideas To "bling" A Monogram Letter Topper

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm by emlashlee

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 12

I just finished making a "J" out of black gumpaste as a topper for a 50th birthday party. Her colors are lime green and black, it's actually a nice combo. Anyway, the J is so drab - just a matte finish black. Do you have any suggestions on how to pump up the wow factor? TIA!

Hmm...maybe even making it shiny. How do you do that?

11 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #2 of 12

You could use luster dust or how about applying little jewels on it. Just the first thing that popped into my head. Maybe you will get other ideas.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #3 of 12

yeah jewels. I got the little crystals in a pack at Michaels and put them on my zebra cake. They really popped!

phoufer Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:05am
post #4 of 12

Dollarama sells lots of cute packages of jewels too

phoufer Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #5 of 12

well I meant the jewels were cute not the packages lol icon_rolleyes.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 12

maybe clear rock candy, maybe break small and pick out some that look like diamonds

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 12

Hey emlashlee,
Maybe some green colored boiled sugar pieces, or even some gold leaf may look good. Or you could do some color flow dots as well.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 12

Don't mean to change the subject...but not really...Can you put those jewels right on the cake?? If I'm using buttercream? If I'm using fondant and "glue" them with icing?

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 12

If you want to use edible ingredients, you can use dragees. I know they say for decoration only, but they are made of sugar and I have eaten a few. I doubt anyone will eat the topper anyway, just a suggestion if you didn't want to use plastic or glass jewels.

Also to get a sparkle on things you can apply disco dust. I think they also call it fairy dust among other names, but it is like glittery sparkly luster dust.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 12

You could also use edible glitter.

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 12

You can hit it with the steamer to get rid of the matte finish & give it a more patten leather, shiny look. Not much bling, but it'll give it a shine.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 12

Oh, oh, oh! So many great ideas! Holy cow - what to choose? I have until Saturday night to finish it. I'll post a pic after I'm done. Thanks to all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%