How Long Will Mmf Last Unrefrigerated

Decorating By Alaskahsm Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 1:57am by Alaskahsm

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
Just wondering how long MMF will last with out being refrigerated. I will be moving, taking a week to drive through Canada and once I get to my destination I will be making a cake. I didn't want to have to make the fondant when I got there, so if I wrap it tightly and double bag it, will it keep?

8 replies
Alaskahsm Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 9

Anybody?

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 9
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 9

My theory is this:

Combining two non-perishable items together (marshmallows and ps) doesn't make the new combo any more perishable than the two separatly. Therefore, your fondant is good as long as your sealed marshmallows and sealed ps would be...... a very long time.

thumbs_up.gif

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 9

is there any actual facts of times?
i like to make it, cover in crisco and wrap in 2 layers of clingwrap and store in a airtight ziplock bag. then put in a dark cupboard.

Id like to know how long it will last there, saves me making a batch everytime i want to try something new...

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 9

You can freeze MMF. If you make a big batch just wrap & bag smaller portions & freeze them. Take one out when you need it. I had a batch I stuck in the freezer for about 1 month, took out & it's sat on the counter for another month (I work w/ a little at a time) & I just ate some today & it's still yummy & as good as the day I made it.

Alaskahsm Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #7 of 9

I guess my real question is not if it will stay good for the eating on our trip, but if it will dry out.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #8 of 9

I've had fondant for MONTHS in my pantry. I cover with a very light coating of crisco...wrap tightly in saran wrap and put in a zip lock. If it is a little too firm, I zap in the micro for 5 sec intrevals. If it is crumbly....I toss.

Alaskahsm Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much, that helps me a lot. Now I don't have to worry about making it after a long drive icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%