Making Your Own Edible Pearls Question...

Decorating By tujy Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 11:05am by brincess_b

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:37am
post #1 of 3

hii,

i made some edible pearls out of fondant and rolled them in some gold lustre dust. now that thy're dry, i'm finding that when you touch the pearls, the lustre comes off onto your fingers. is that normal? i wanted to use them on cupcakes, but was worried that when people bite into the cupcake, god powder will be left on their lips/face - might be offputting.

i once watched a youtube video where someone made a gumpaste butterfly, dusted it with dry colour, and then briefly held it in the steam of a kettle. the steam "sets" the powder colour. does this work? should i do it for my pearls?

tia

2 replies
mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:34am
post #2 of 3

Hi!

I usually roll mine in dust as well and some of the dust does transfer to the fondant or icing.

Maybe you could try giving it another roll in a clean bowl (I use my infants small feeding bowls, the edges are not to steep or flat!) and get some of the dust off.

I haven't tried the steam trick, just seen Ron Ben-Israel do it on Martha Stewart once, though on the gumpaste flowers to give them a sheen.

HTH!
Mirjana

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:05am
post #3 of 3

steam is the best way to set the colour, otherwise, it will come off when touched. although i woudnt worry about it being too messy if its only on the pearls.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%