"dressing Up" A Cake Board... How Do I?

Decorating By chleonard Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 3:48am by cathyscakes

chleonard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chleonard Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake coming and dont' have a fancy cake board (one of those pretty silver ones)
i would love if i can make the board look prettier than normal ( i usually just cover with the wilton foil).
i have read that you can cover with fondant or royal icing... and attach ribbon to the bottom... has anyone tried any of this?
how do you fancy up a board?
also, since the cake is a 5 tier round, should i have the plywood cut into a circle?

thanks for any suggestions!

3 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:42am
post #2 of 4

Are you covering the cake in fondant? I always cover the board in fondant and put ribbon around the edge. If you look at my pictures you will see what I mean. I would use a round board. HTH

chleonard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chleonard Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 4

round cakes do look nicer with a round board... i will have to get one!

my cake will be iced in IMBC, no fondant, but i am doing a ribbon border and swiss dots.
will it still look okay to cover the board in fondant? or is there something else i can use?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #4 of 4

Yes plywood would work, and you could cut a strip of fondant to place on the cake board. Just put the cake on the board and cut a strip of fondant and place it to meet the bottom of the cake, then wrap it down around to the bottom of the board, you will use alot less fondant doing it that way, you don't have to cover the whole board. Brush the board with piping gel or a thin layer of buttercream to get the fondant to stick. There are all kinds of impression mats to add designs, and brushing it with pearlized dust is pretty too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%