How Do I Make Mmf Turn White

Decorating By nancysmom Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm by nancysmom

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 29

I would like to make my mmf tern white. I have used the wilton icing color, but it makes my fondent hard to work with. does any one have an other and better idea. I would love to hear from you. icon_cry.gif

28 replies
backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 29

You can add citric acid to make it more white. hth icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 29

Isn't it already white? I use white marshmallows, white PS, and water so it comes out pretty white.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Isn't it already white? I use white marshmallows, white PS, and water so it comes out pretty white.

Me, too. Mine is white.

nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 29

No mine comes out off white more like a cream color. I use white marshmellows too.

nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 29

thank you dkelly, what is white PS?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #7 of 29

I use Kraft marshmallows and mine is more of a cream color. I've heard that if you use generic marshmallows, it makes whiter fondant. To be honest, as long as you don't have anything whiter than your fondant on the cake, it will look white to everyone but you.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 29

I use generic marshmallows, and mine is white, not any noticeable difference in colour to what I have bought at the store, maybe a shade darker but still very white

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #9 of 29

PS=powdered sugar

nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 29

I figured it out. Powder sugar. I'm sorry I'm new. My recipe calls for white marshmellows, water, powder sugar, clear vanilla and karo syrup. But it doesn't come out white. what am I doing wrong? icon_cry.gif

Deb_ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #11 of 29

How long are you microwaving the marshmallows for? It's possible to over heat them.

I've never used Karo syrup in mine, but you are using the clear syrup right? The dark would definitely make the mmf off white in color.

I don't use any particular brand of marshmallows........whatever is on sale. I've had good luck with all of them.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #12 of 29

I don't use any syrup in mine either

Water, PS, Marshmallows, and flavouring

, Even clear syrup has a slight yellowish tinge to it

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #13 of 29

I think it's the syrup that's doing it. My recipe is as follows:

16oz white marshmallows
2lbs powdered sugar
1tps clear vanilla (or other clear flavoring)
2-5 Tablespoons water

That's it. Other than Crisco to coat the bowl, spoon, kneading surface and hands, nothing else goes in.

Mine comes out perfectly white so I'm thinking that it's the syrup in yours that's changing the colors.

Hope it helps!

Cat

nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #14 of 29

I microwave them for 30 seconds stir and then a nother 30 seconds. I use the clear karo syrup. Do you think its the karo syrup?

Deb_ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #15 of 29

I definitely think it's the syrup. Your microwaving time is just what I do. Try the recipe that catlharper posted, it's pretty much the one I use....I think you'll have better luck.

nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:56am
post #16 of 29

thank you all I will try. not using the karo syrup. You all are GREAT thumbs_up.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #17 of 29

Yep it is the Karo...I used it one time and had the same problem

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #18 of 29

I make both mmf and my own version of mff fondant. My mff comes out much whiter than the mmf. I can't use them together on a cake, the colour difference is too noticable.

Here are the ingredients that I use.

1 tbsp geletin
1/4 c water

1/2 c glucose or white corn syrup (I use glucose)
1 tbsp glycerine
2 tbsp shortening

2 lbs powdered sugar

Clear flavouring

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #19 of 29

I use that recipe for MMF...the PS, MM and water only, and it is slightly off-white. It's noticeable enough that if you're putting white gumpaste flowers on it, you can see the difference.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:17am
post #20 of 29

After I've made mmf and it's rested, mine is off-white...I was calling it dirty white. The next day, I knead it....the more I knead it the whiter it gets until it is as white as SatinIce....

I say...simply knead it again after it has rested.

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #21 of 29

I just finished a batch of mmf (marshmallows, water and ps) and had the same issue, it's like an ivory color. I will knead more tomorrow after it 'rests' and after I rest as well! How long do you usually give it before kneading again and using?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #22 of 29

I let mine rest overnight (8-12 hours or more....I've got some I made the other day that is still 'resting'...when I go to use it, I grease the counter and my hands and knead it until it becomes soft and pliable...cover it...make sure the counter is clean and dry (remove the shortening) then dust it with a ps/cs combo and roll it out) I'll knead some of it and take a picture of the kneaded portion against the unkneaded, still resting portion....
LL
LL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:56am
post #23 of 29

kneading really does make it whiter. same with Michele's fondant.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #24 of 29

When I need REALLY WHITE I use the jar of marshmallow fluff rather than the regular marshmallows. There is a difference in 'whiteness' when you put the different batches side by side.

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #25 of 29

How do you make it with fluff?? How much do you use?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #26 of 29

I don't think it's they karo syrup. I don't use it in my MMF and it's never white... it's always ivory. When I melt the marshmellows they are ivory. I would like to know as well how to make it whiter. Has anyone added wilton's white color to it? I've been tempted to try this. icon_rolleyes.gif

nancysmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #27 of 29

sincitycakes, I have tried the wilton white icing color. and it makes the fondent hard to work with. I made new fondent yesterday and did not use the karo and it still came out ivory/ off white.

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #28 of 29

Mine is always off-white too.I asked in a forum a while back and people thought it was strange.I had since then tried lots of things but it's still is thesame.

nancysmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #29 of 29

I did try kneading it for a long time. It made it a little whiter, or maybe it was me thinking it was whiter. I will give the marshmallow fluff a try, like bisbqweenb mentioned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%