In Dire Need Of 18" Cake Drum!

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 3:40am by Loucinda

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding cake due this Saturday, and the cake has a 16" bottom tier. I had one 18" cake drum left that I was to use for it, and I just found that there's a big dent on one side! I have no idea how it happened, but I'm sure one of the kids does!!! My problem now is that I have no store near me who sells drums this big. Anyone have any ideas? Help!

Thanks for any advice you can offer for a base that big...

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 8

Glue several large cardboards together and cover with fanci-foil.

Have a handy friend cut a circle from masonite or plywood and cover as above.

Sometimes the big box hardware stores will have large circles already cut from plywood.

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 8

Can you not cover the cake drum in fondant icing. I have used this trick when I have damaged boards.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 8

Foamcore comes in 20x30 sheets - cut a drum from 1/2" foamcore. That is what I use all the time.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 8

what about useing a wide ribbon to wrap around the drum to match the decoration on the cake?

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 8

Great ideas all! I'll head down to the Home Depot/ACMoore strip tonight and pick up something. Thanks much for your help, fellow cakers!!!

(I learned just recently that my 4 y.o. thought the drum would make a reeeeeeeally great frisbee. Dent, anyone? icon_rolleyes.gif )

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 8

Where do you guys foamcore, i cannot get the 1/2 inches in my area, and there is this one company and you have to but like 3 cases at a time, for about $200 and I do not sell cakes so I do not need that much

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #8 of 8

You can get it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%