Fancy Nancy.........

Decorating By starcitycakes Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm by jlynnw

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 27

I have been asked to do a birthday cake for a little girl that wants Fancy Nancy. I have never heard of Fancy Nancy so I have absolutely no idea where to begin. I searched Fancy Nancy cakes and there were LOTS of pages BUT only 1 1/2 half of them were actualy Fancy Nancy theme. I chose a few and added them in to my favorites. But I was wondering if any of you have a "favorite" that you like or maybe some suggestions on how to go about this OR even a picture of a cake that would go with the theme. It won't be a very large cake, more like 2 teired. I know there are feathers and pink and girly stuff. But i don't know where else to go. Like I said earlier I've never heard of Fancy Nancy. icon_redface.gif TIA for all the help.

26 replies
starcitycakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 27

anyone out there icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 27

Here is a Fancy Nancy done by one of my favorites cake artists who is also a member here on CC.

A taste of Whimsy

Here is her cake...
LL

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 27

So, is Fancy Nancy a style of cake, like we would call a topsy-turvy? Girly colors and details?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 27

Fancy Nancy can be any take off on the posted cake. I would trim the board in a feather boa. The colors are pink with purple accents. And you could include anything a little girl would consider fancy: tea, glitzy sunglasses, jewelry, etc. The series of books also includes a lot of French sayings(French is considered very fancy). yoou could easily make a topper pick from a photocopy. The nice thing is that you really have creative license here since it is more conceptual than most characters.

Stick with the colors and the fancy accessories and you should be good. Think little girl, dressed in mom's clothes, at a tea party.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 27

It's a popular book character from what I understand.I have not done a Fancy Nancy yet...I don't even think the little girls around here know what or who she is...

starcitycakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 27

I really like that picture Kiddie. Thanks for all the explanations. I wasn't real sure exactly who she was. The mother told me feathers pinks and glitter. But I just thought that was kind of a broad example. She said something about bringing me a book. But I thought maybe getting on here and getting input from ya'll I might could get a good idea before she got me the book.

I might do the photocopy topper that was a good idea. Would I just pretty much "glue" it fondant or gumpaste?
Also I really hate fondant. icon_lol.gif It never works for me. But if I do the feather boa I need to use fondant right?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 27

It's a book series...my grandaughter and I love it! here is a picture of one of the book covers
HTH icon_smile.gif
LL

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

It's a book series...my grandaughter and I love it! here is a picture of one of the book covers
HTH icon_smile.gif

OMG she looks so CUTE!

I wish I had someone to try this on.

kjt Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 27

Yep, she's adorable, and the books are so fun!
I think the suggestion of a feather boa on the cake board is perfect! icon_biggrin.gif
Here are a few more pics...
LL

kjt Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 27

Can't seem to add more that one at a time icon_redface.gif
LL

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 27

My girls love Fancy Nancy. They carry the doll at Target if you want to get a good Idea of what she looks like. She loves anything french and big fancy words. Ohh La La, pearls, The eifle tower, butterflies, boas, high heels, You could write Happy Birthday in french on the cake, then under it put "That is a fancy way of saying Happy BIrthday". She quotes like that throughout every book. This would be a very fun cake to make. Cannot wait to see your results.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 27

i was asked to do one last year. but it never came about.. i was excited . then ..it didn,t happen.. i was going to incorporate a lot of stuff from what i saw on the internet.. all that fancy nancy is.. she dresses up all fancy in all kinds of outfits.. butterflies, feathers.. everythings. just look it up on the internet. and you will get all kinds of ideas. hth

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 27

Her books are very popular with the preschool-1rst grade set...go to amazon and do a book search or your local library to check out a copy for more pics.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #15 of 27

Oh, how I wish I could do a Fancy Nancy cake. It would be so much fun! Lots of pearls and feathers and all. She reminds me of playing tea with grandmama. Have fun and PLEASE, pretty PLEASE with sugar on top post a picture. icon_lol.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 27

My daughter had a Fancy Nancy birthday party last year, after we attended one hosted at our local library. It was so much fun. I made fancy wedding like invitations. OMG, I could go on and on. I didn't actually do a cake. I decorated a cupcake stand and we had fancy flower cupcakes. The girls loved it!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #17 of 27

I just did a Fancy Nancy last week. I'd never heard of her either! The mom gave me a couple of ideas about colors, but that's it. I took a lot of inspiration from cakemommy75002's cake. Loved the ribbon roses, etc. I think Nancy is just girly, cutsie froo froo, if that makes sense!

Here's my Fancy Nancy interpretation:
LL

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:04am
post #18 of 27

So what age group would u say Fancy Nancy would be good for?

kjt Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:13am
post #19 of 27

I'd say from 5 to 8, maybe 9 year olds...It's hard to tell-I've seen some 9 year olds on TV that look like they are about ready to date icon_confused.gif

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:02pm
post #20 of 27

i can't wait to see this cake!!! anything with butterflies, the eiffel tower and pink boas. target sells all her stuff. you could even pick up a real fancy nancy tiara for the topper. my 5 year old( we both) just loves fancy nancy. she's going to be nancy for halloween.
i just have to share. our favorite is a book called fancy nancy's favorite fancy words. i was reading the book to her trying to sound like a snobby rich lady really accenting on the "FONCY" words. my daughter was listening so intensly. she finally leans over and whispers "i like her voice". i almost started to cry.

starcitycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #21 of 27

Thanks for all the inspiration. The mother is supposed to bring me a book by this week. I'm think along the lines of pinks, feathers and butterflies and the boa and maybe even a train coming off the back like that very first picture of the book cover that was posted by KJT. I think I'm going to do the photocopy topper, with a picture of her and "glue" it to a peice of fondant. Mother did say she didn't want the tiara though. They little girl has already had a princess birthday once before. I'm getting very excited over this cake. I can't wait to start. I will definatly post a picture.
Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know where I can go to look at a tutorial about Butterflies? I've made them before, but just cut them out with a cookie cutter and then let them dry in a cupcake pan. I didn't really to any detail on them.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #22 of 27

She looks so cute. It sounds like lots of fun. have fun making it. thumbs_up.gif

starcitycakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #23 of 27

OK so I have decided to do a TUTU on the bottom layer. BUT i'm not sure if I know what to do. I was thinking take a peice of fondant and cut it into about 4 4" strips. Make the edge of those ruffle and let it set. Then for the top on make a ruffle that will cover the top of the cake. THEN take the other 4 peices and just attach to the cake and they would be all ruffled out and stuff. But I don't know if it will look like a tutu. Maybe more like layers of wavy fondant icon_lol.gif I don't even know if ya'll have a CLUE as to what I just said icon_redface.gif

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #24 of 27

I gave the favorite fancy words book to my niece and she loves learning the new words, lol she is 2 1/2. I'd think maybe a cake with the fancy words written all around, mostly the ones that could describe the lil girl. Then add the girly little touches. Just a thought.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:05pm
post #25 of 27

Oh I just did a Fancy Nancy cake! I know what you mean..most of the inspirations were not Nancy at all. Here's my favs:

http://www.pbs.org/parents/booklights/Fancy%20Nancy%20cake.JPG

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1369447 (I actually used this one.)

My favorite (if I had only seen it sooner!!):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/berylbyrd/3424961533/

starcitycakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:35pm
post #26 of 27

CakeMaker that first link is actually the one that I'm using as inspiration. Just not that big icon_lol.gif. And yes not many on here were very Nancy after I got the book and realized what exactly she liked. I'm doing the feathers and the purse, high heel, hat with big flower, Butterflies and a boa (I think I got everything). I'm going to attempt to do the bottom layer as a TUTU but I'm afraid it will turn into that layered dress she has on it the plaque in that last link. Which will be fine. I may just try to go for that. icon_smile.gif
Anyways thank everyone. Ya'll really helped me get through this one.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #27 of 27

In the tutorials, there are instructions for butterflies. I have never tried it. I cheated and found an impression mold for butterflies that was way too easy, spendy but easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%