Painting On Fondant

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 3:50am by ginger6361

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:56am
post #1 of 8

I tried to paint some fondant for the first time, and it look horrible! All streaked. /the more I painted the more it rubbed off. What am I doing wrong??

7 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:16am
post #2 of 8

did u dilute your paste/gel colouring? and what did you use?

cocinerita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocinerita Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:22am
post #3 of 8

You must dilute your color with a bit of water and then use alcohol with to paint so it dries fast.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:43am
post #4 of 8

Use any clear liquid with a high alcohol content to dilute your gel colour. I like using everclear but you can use vodka or extracts to paint with. The alcohol evapourates and leaves behind the paint (once it's dry that is). The more alcohol you add to your gel colour the more of a watercolour effect you will have.

You may also need to do more than one coat to get a good coverage. It's dry once it's no longer tacky to the touch.

You can also use airbrush colours to paint with (no need to dilute these) and you can also paint with petal/lustre dusts as well (mixed with alcohol again).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:19am
post #5 of 8

Xstitcher is such a nice person to help everyone.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #6 of 8

Can I dilute the gel colors with Everclear and paint it on to get an even look. I didn't mix my fondant fully so I have a bit of marbling. I was hoping I could paint of the entire fondant surface on the cake to make it look more uniform. Any ideas?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Xstitcher is such a nice person to help everyone.

Awww, your making me blush Rylan icon_redface.gif ! I noticed your no different though, always there to help everyone out! thumbs_up.gif

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #8 of 8

Thanks all. I did add vanila to my color, but it was stillvery sticky and uneven. I will try it again till I get it right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%