Trusting Gut Feelings

Decorating By Mac Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm by LaBellaFlor

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 6

Over a month ago, I had a young lady contact me about making her birthday cake. She wanted a boombox cake to serve 6-7 guests...quoted her $90.
Changed the design to half of a quarter sheet cake and the top of the cake to look like a boombox for $35.

Same customer called on Saturday after my vacation and scheduled time on Tuesday (25th) at 4:30 to meet with me and discuss her cake. Guess what??? No show and no call. Mother called me on Wednesday (26th) and wanted to place the order. She needed it to serve 30-40 guests. She wanted a 1/2 sheet cake with her name in "graffiti style" letters. Quoted $60. Finally decided on a 1/3 sheet cake with graffiti style name and decorated in an 80's theme for $45. Customer was to pick the cake up on September 2nd. Oh and I told her I had a meeting with customer on the 25th and no one showed up. Mom's response "Oh, yes, she didn't get over there yesterday." Explained that missed visit really inconvenienced me...but took order anyway.

Customer (mom) called tonite at 9:40 and wanted to pick up cake tomorrow, since Wednesday was going to be hectic. Told her there was no way the cake would be ready tomorrow. I normally take off on Mondays since the weekend is usually always busy. If she had wanted to pick up cake on the 1st, she needed to call me on Saturday before.
Hmmmmphfff!!! Some people! I am counting my blessings right now!

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:47am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like a PITA customer. Why do they seem to think it's okay to call someone at nearly 10 pm in the evening. I'd make the cake and if they ever called again I'd be busy on the day that they needed the cake. Jeez....

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:03am
post #3 of 6

Well, some people are simply inconsiderate. Some of them "mean it well" but don't know better, some of them are thriving when making problems for others.

One advice to you - write the name down, make a note.

I am not saying never to make another cake for this customer. Sometimes such PITA customers can bring a good business. You need to be aware this customers will do the same the next time. I am all for doing next cake for them - but there better be an additional PITA fee in your price!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 6

Only problem is by the end of the call, I was not sure if she still wanted the cake. I sent email to them requesting clarification if the still considered it an active order. I will call this morning, too. PITA!!!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 6

Mac,

write the name down now! Add to it - no cake unless written order and paid in advance!!! If you still want to make this cake (I wouldn't), call her, ask if she still wants the cake, and get her to pay you now! No cake without money in your hand.

You don't have a single piece of paper in your hand. What happens if she says now she wants the cake and then it is no show and no call again? Well, you could feed your family or donate the cake, but you would still have to pay the costs, not speaking about all the work.

Good luck!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 6

And thats why we all need to get a deposit or paid in full before getting into too many details when it comes to a cake order. You only need details when it's agreed theres an actual order & they give you some actual money. When we don't, we end up frustrated. I assume no cake has been ordered unless contract & money has exchanged hands. And I let the customer know that too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%