Do I Need To Dowel?

Decorating By kokopuff Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm by kokopuff

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 5

I will be making a 2 layer 16 inch square cake that I will be traveling with.Do I need to put dowels in it for stability?I feel silly asking but I have never baked and traveled with one this size as a single cake,only as part of a wedding cake.Any suggestions are appreciated TIA! Karen

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 5

ok? you are saying 2 layers.. not 2 tiers.. a 2 layer 16" sq. cake ... needs no dowels.. if it is a 2 tier cake.. yes, then, you need to dowel it. or use single plate system.. hth

kokopuff Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 5

Yes,2 layers not 2 tiers.Thanks for the response.I'm just a little nervous about traveling 50+ miles with this size cake.I have only had one other this size and it was the bottom tier of a wedding cake so I had doweled it before traveling and didn't have very far to go with it,just a few miles.I didn't really think I would need to use dowels but just wanted to be sure. icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 5

Make sure you've put some bc under the cake so it is attached to the board and under the board put a non-skid shelf liner. If your boxing your cake I'd do the same to the box as well. You can pick up the shelf liners at most dollar stores, Walmarts etc.

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/shelf-liner-grip-it?id=176&sku=10338&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase

You'll also want to place the cake on the flatest surface of your vehicle. I know some people hold it while traveling but I usually either don't have any one with me or my kids so that's obviously not possible.

kokopuff Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I have been using the shelf liner.I love that stuff,it makes life a lot easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%