Sharp Edges On Fondant Cakes

Decorating By calamity_clair Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm by xstitcher

calamity_clair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calamity_clair Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone

I posted a topic similar to this a few weeks ago, but I'm still struggling. I would love to know how to get sharp edges on my fondant cakes... mine always seem to end up very rounded.

Help please icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 5

There are different techniques.

I personally think that it is best to start with a nice base. Try using Ganache for best results.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 5

calamity_clair, I notice you're in Melbourne. Have you had a look at the Planet Cake book? The instructions in there are great for how they get such sharp edges. You could find it in any Borders I reckon or maybe even your public library.
I'm not saying it's a magic wand! icon_wink.gif I'll definitely still need lots and lots of practice, but I find their instructions and pictures really helpful. Also there's a Planet Cake video on Youtube which shows one of their decorators covering a cake with fondant. Again, really helpful!

Good luck. I think we're all on a quest for the perfect sharp edge!!

Emma

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 5

Great advice so far.

Here's the video I believe Emma was referring to (Planet Cakes on youtube) at about the 6 minute mark you will see her using 2 fondant smoothers to make the edges more crisp/sharp. You just have 2 work the 2 together to get the sharper corners and you can't spend too much time on it as you still want the fondant to be relatively pliable/workable. If you order Sharon Zambito's sugarshack's dvd she shows you a similar technique on how to get sharp corners on fondant cakes.

And as Rylan said the cake you start with will need to have the sharp corners to start with.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 5

Great advice so far.

Here's the video I believe Emma was referring to (Planet Cakes on youtube) at about the 6 minute mark you will see her using 2 fondant smoothers to make the edges more crisp/sharp. You just have 2 work the 2 together to get the sharper corners and you can't spend too much time on it as you still want the fondant to be relatively pliable/workable. If you order Sharon Zambito's sugarshack's dvd she shows you a similar technique on how to get sharp corners on fondant cakes.

And as Rylan said the cake you start with will need to have the sharp corners to start with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%