What Icing For Italian Creme Cake?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 2:31am by coffeechick

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 4

I have someone who wants a 3 tier italian creme cake. She want walnuts instead of pecans. How small do I chop the nuts & what icing do I use & do you usually have a filling? Help me, cake buddies!

3 replies
shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 4

When I make this cake (which is my most requested cake) I just use a basic crusting cream cheese frosting to ice, fill and decorate if necessary. I run the nuts thru my food processor until fairly small pieces. If I am decorating the cake I just use the nuts as part of the filling.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #3 of 4

I suggest looking up some recipes, cause italian creme cake is its own type of cake. You just don't put any type of frosting on it or use any type of cake. Kind of like a tres leches or german chocolate have their own specific recipes.

coffeechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeechick Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:31am
post #4 of 4

cream cheese icing is what you will use. When I make my icing I leave out the nuts and add a few more cups of powdered sugar to make it stiffer(its known to be a little soft) if not kept refridgerated. I then add chopped nuts to the outside of the cake after its iced to give it a more authentic look. i also agree with shelbymama on how she does everything else you have to see what works best for you and how the design is to be completed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%