Sugar Made To Look Like Water

Decorating By CaptGail Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 12:20am by Rylan

CaptGail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaptGail Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #1 of 9

I have seen on TV that sugar is boiled and poured to look like water, what do I use and how do I do it? Thanks

8 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 9

check out novicebaker202 pics he just did a sugar moat for his castle cake. im sure if you ask him he can provide you with details.
good luck!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 9

I really don't know but I remember from Ace of Cakes they said they used Isomalt. Then I found it intereting that he used a blowtorch to get out the bubbles. I will follow this thread to get more information also.

CaptGail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaptGail Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the replies, I was ready other threads, isomalt is heated and poured. There was a thread about making sugar beer bottles that was cool. She made a latex mold and had her own recipe for the sugar, maybe you can read that one, she gave a couple of links to places for the silicone.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #5 of 9

Isomalt is a sorbitol based product that is used in place of true sugar because it withstands humidity better. It is pricey and sorbitol has the effects of a laxative which can lead to problems for those that consume it. Sugar works fine in a fairly dry climate. All you need is sugar, water, a heavy duty pan, and a candy therm. For a first timer this medium is often difficult to work with. It also can cause severe burns so I do not allow anyone else in my kitchen when working with it. You might consider colored piping gel. Safer, easier, and better tasting. icon_smile.gif

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 9

I'm very new at this & have never used the sugar method, however, I needed to make a swimming pool cake & tried the colored piping gel. Very easy & looked great.

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 9

So glad you mentioned the laxative issue! I will monitor who eats how many jewels off my daughters cake. I am going to use the isomalt.

static Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
static Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 9

I thing its the same principle as making sugar glass, here is a tutorial I have
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sugar-Glass

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:20am
post #9 of 9

Yes, that would be isomalt. It is a sugar substitute I believe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%