Increasing Recipe Quantities... Just Increase Ingredients Or

Decorating By loves2bake4six Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 3:56am by xstitcher

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #1 of 2

multiple batches.

I have a commission for a 4 layer 1/2 sheet cake.

The customer requested a favorite recipe that makes a 9" round.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my rusty math skills determined I would need about 5 times the original recipe to make a 4 layer 1/2 sheet pan cake.

I have a 6 qt KA and an Electrolux DLX.

I am prety positive the DLX could handle making 5 x the recipe with no problems volume wise. The KA could only make 1 batch at a time.

How do you handle increasing batter output?

TIA

1 reply
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #2 of 2

What do you consider to be a 1/2 sheet?

Here's Wilton's chart for 2" deep pans.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

The other thing you can do is measure water into your pans (to the level you would fill it with batter) and figure out how many cups you will need that way. (Measure your 9" and your 1/4 sheet pan size.

Let's assume you are using a 12 X 18" pan if you want the cake to be 4" in height (assuming each layer is 1") then you would need 28 cups of batter (14 X 2).

If your recipe makes 5.5 cups (9" round cake). Then you will need to make at least 5 batches (will give you 27.5 cups -1/2 cup short not a biggie as that only works out to 1/4 cup per pan). So if those are the sizes of your pans and your recipe does make 5.5 cups then your math is correct.

I don't have a DLX so can't comment on that but I'm wondering why your only able to make 1 batch of your recipe with your 6 qt KA, I thought it could make 14 cups at a time so at least 2 batches of your recipe.

I don't think it should be a problem multiplying the # of batches at the same but thought I should include this thread anyway. (I've only ever needed 2 make 2 batches at a time and haven't had any issues with my KA yet).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607949-batter.html+triple

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%