How Do I Make This Bow?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm by Texas_Rose

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 7

I have pm'd the maker of this cake, but I am in a hurry and wanted to know if anyone can tell me about the bow on top of this cake. I realize the loops are longer and skinnier, but how are they standing up like that? In a regular loop bow, the loops seem to "stack" on top of each other.

Someone wants me to make this cake in fiesta colors for a birthday party. Do you think it will look like Mardi Gras with the diamond pattern????
LL
LL

6 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 7

you can glue them in sticking up like that with melted choc . or you can wire each loop and stick them in ( I personally do not do that)

HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

That looks like the loops were made onto toothpicks and then poked into the cake after they were dry.

I don't think the diamonds will look like Mardi Gras as long as you don't use the green, purple and yellow for that tier...maybe hot pink with yellow diamonds and turquoise dots.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 7

I am not sure how to get the loops to stand up like that, though Id trust SugarShack!!

As for the colors, I think if you keep the purple, green and yellow apart then it wont look like mardi gras. From the picture you posted you also have blue, orange, red and black to work with. Separate the "mardi gras" colors and I think it will look neat.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

you can glue them in sticking up like that with melted choc . HTH

This is exactly how I'd do it.^

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 7

I understand I can use candy melts to glue them, but what I don't understand is how they seem to be standing independently of one another. Do I start in the center and hold one straight up with my hand until the candy melts harden?

I never thought of wiring bow loops. Do the wires go directly in the cake, or into a ball of gumpaste or fondant?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 7

When I've seen a tutorial on those loops, they used toothpicks, not wire, so it would be safe to push directly into the cake. The ones on the lower tiers were probably done that way to be sure they'd stand up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%