Mexican Modelling Paste/sugarpaste - How Long Does It Last?

Decorating By macnabart Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm by macnabart

macnabart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macnabart Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I'm new to sugar modelling. I intend to decorate my sister's wedding cake with many white roses (made by rolling up white mexican modelling paste mixed with my own homemade sugar paste) I want to know how long I can do this in advance for the roses to keep. Or can I freeze the roses once made?
I want to stick them on to the royal icing on the wedding cakes in the two days before the wedding - do I need to reduce this to one day in advance..
Help! Feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks,

Clare icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

CC blocked out one of the words in your post.

I don't have any idea about the roses.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

You can make the roses as far in advance as you please--in a cool, dry enviroment/cardboard box, they'll last forever.

If it's warm or humid where you are, I'd suggest putting some type of desiccant in with them to absorb moisture from the air.

HTH
Rae

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 5

Gumpaste items, once set hard. will keep for ever. If there of any colour, keep them out of sunlight which will fade the colour. I keep all my gum paste creations in cardboard boxes, along with those little sachets of beads you get in like shoeboxes and things, It helps soak up any moister so it doesnt ruin the flower.

if your planning on adding ALOT of flowers to the cake, i would start early just to make sure you have enough roses to begin with

macnabart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macnabart Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 5

Hi
Thank you for the replies. I will look out some bubble wrap & cardboard box!
I am making a three tiered, sponge cake with pillars in between the tiers.
The recipe I'm following suggests stacking the cakes with OUT pillars, although doesn't say whether its possible to stack them with pillars; the base layer is chocolate sponge, middle layer lemon sponge and top layer fruit cake. I read somewhere that a tradition is for the happy couple to keep the top layer of cake for their 1st anniversary.. so it's definitely going to be in that order.. I'm a bit nervous that the sponge cakes will give way or be harder to stack . What if the dowel rods slip or break the cake etc.
If anyone has done this type of cake before I'd be very grateful for any advice!
Many thanks,

:0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%