Can I Rescue This Gumpaste?

Decorating By HeatherWantsCake Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 6:05am by xstitcher

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 10

Ack!

I ran out of RTU gumpaste so decided to try and make some with MMF and Gum-Tex. I think I may have used too much Gum-Tex. After sitting for 24 hours or so, the "gumpaste" is very hard and even when I try to knead in some shortening, it just kind of breaks and won't smooth out.

There's zero elasticity right now. And I made a BIG batch. icon_sad.gif Have I wrecked it or is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?

If I have to start over, does anyone have a goof-proof recipe? I can go buy more RTU if need be, but I have all this Gum-Tex now ...

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 10

you will love nick lodges recipe on his site..

HeatherWantsCake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 10

I took a look at Nick Lodges recipe - can I substitue Gum-Tex for Tylose, do you think?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 10

Warm a small amount a little and then knead it with some fondant. Start with small amounts and keep working with until it's workable.

HTH

Michele

HeatherWantsCake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you so much, Sugarflowers!

I did as you suggested and it worked perfectly!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 10

Kerry Vincent's recipe is great. I've used it for years.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:44am
post #7 of 10

I use Nick Lodge's recipe & use Tylose. His recipe is lovely to work with!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherWantsCake

Thank you so much, Sugarflowers!

I did as you suggested and it worked perfectly!

Cool! I'm glad it worked. Since you said you had a large batch, divide this into smaller pieces, rub shortening on it, wrap it very well, and then freeze it. Then when you need some gumpaste just get the amount you need. Let it thaw naturally because nuking it can crystallize the sugar.

Michele

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:56am
post #9 of 10

Sugarflowers, since you're posting on this topic I hope you (& others) don't mind me asking if your flowers dvd assembles the flowers on floral wire? I am wanting to start making bouquets & want to know how to make flowers on wires. Hope that makes sense

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Sugarflowers, since you're posting on this topic I hope you (& others) don't mind me asking if your flowers dvd assembles the flowers on floral wire? I am wanting to start making bouquets & want to know how to make flowers on wires. Hope that makes sense

Just in case Michele isn't on line I thought I'd chime in. I have her dvd (love it and her) and yes she does use wire to make her flowers. I highly recommend it. Great customer service to boot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%