Had You Ever Used...

Decorating By miny Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm by dailey

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 8

Pre-colored decorating icing (the tube you get at the grocery store) to write details on top of your delicious SMBC? I need black scroll work on a pale pink and my SMBC won't get black at all, this is the only thing I can think of but I'm afraid it will blead on my SMBC, any help is welcome. TIA

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 8

If it's precolored gel, it will probably be fine. I know it's difficult to tint SMBC. Gotta use an oil based color like used in chocolate making.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 8

Taste the tube before you put it on the cake. I bought one to use once and it had gone rancid. I didn't notice until I had written on the cake with it.

Also, you're probably too smart to ever try this, but once I decided to write with red piping gel on a whipped cream frosted cake. The piping gel bled and soaked in and because the whipped cream was pale pink, it looked like a horror movie cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

OMG Texas! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 8

You can also use a dark chocolate fudge canned icing to use. It looks like black when piped alone.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you, now I know how to tint my BC and I'm gonna use the chocolate frosting because as bad as it taste it'll be a million times tastier than the tubed icing, you all saved my life!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 8

Also, a plug for the chocolate icing (tinted black)....the black tube icing sometimes tends to be a little stiff and uncooperative, especially if you are using a smaller size tip to write with. It always makes me nervous when I use it.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Pre-colored decorating icing (the tube you get at the grocery store) to write details on top of your delicious SMBC? I need black scroll work on a pale pink and my SMBC won't get black at all, this is the only thing I can think of but I'm afraid it will blead on my SMBC, any help is welcome. TIA

i love wiltons black premade icing because its the only thing that doesn't bleed for me : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%