My Buttercream Is Separating - Why??

Decorating By mooj Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm by mooj

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

I have been making the same buttercream recipe for years and lately I've noticed that it is separating... there's melted butter in the container that seems to have oozed out of the buttercream. YUK!

I have tried adding more sugar when I make it or when I re-mix it to use it. But that makes the buttercream too dry and hard to spread. I mix it back up and spread it on the cake and then after a few hours I see a little melted butter puddling at the bottom of the cake - YUK again!

I have also tried whipping it longer - same results. I am now stumped - does anyone have an idea why is this happening?

Thanks for your ideas!

3 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 4

if you are using crisco in your recipe that is the reason. After they changed the formula it started happening. I switched to high-ratio shortening and will never go back.

Jibbies

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 4

By the way you only use 1/2 the amount of high-ratio shortening that is called for in your recipe.

Jibbies

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 4

Oh wow - I was sure it was because of the butter - I never thought of the shortening. Yes, I am using Crisco but I will switch immediately! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%