Black Fondant

Decorating By lujauna Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm by lujauna

lujauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lujauna Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 18

Is there a special way to make fondant black. I know you have to use black color but does it make the fondant sticky?

17 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 18

If you have the time, order it pre-coloured. Saves you a ton of time and a ton of black colouring. I think most people on here (and what I have done when needed) will tell you to start with chocolate/brown fondant and add in the black. Remember the colour will deepen after it has sat a while (overnight).

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 18

You can buy it ready made...Satin Ice seems to be a popular brand though I've never used it.

I make marshmallow fondant (MMF), recipes can be found in the recipe section. I add Americolor Super Black gel to the melted marshmallows before I add the powedered sugar... a couple of generous squirts is all it takes. The color will deepen over time (overnight) to a nice jet black. No mess, no kneading, no bitter taste from Wilton black, Quick, Easy and tastes great!

lujauna Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you so much for your reply. It helps me so much

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 18

I buy Satin Ice. Every once in a while I'll make black fondant. If I do make it, I start with chocolate and then add Americolor black to it (while it's in the Kitchen Aid).

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 18

I totally agree about buying it pre-colored. I buy Satin Ice in Black, Red, and Dark Brown. Saves me a ton of hassle coloring them those hard-to-achieve colors.

lujauna Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 18

Where do you buy it. Can you buy it online?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #8 of 18

You can buy everything online. Check out some online cake decorating shops.

lujauna Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #9 of 18

Ok thanks so much.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #10 of 18

I buy premade chocolate fondant and add black to it. I tried buying black fondant once and it tasted horrible, never again! Whats the point of putting something on a cake that tastes awful especially if you're covering a large part of the cake. I want to get an airgun one day - has anyone tried colouring a white cake black with an airgun? I thought it might stop all the Addams Family grins after eating the cake icon_lol.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #11 of 18

I made black fondant for the very first time tonight. I made marshmallow fondant and added the Americolor super black to the melted marshmallows just as Puffcake said. Easy!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujauna

Where do you buy it. Can you buy it online?

I generally buy it at www.intotheoven.com or www.globalsugarart.com.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

You can buy everything online. .
Now ain't that the truth - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I buy pre made - couldn't be puffed making it - icon_rolleyes.gif
I buy the Renshaw Regalice *jet black* made in the UK.
Just Brillante - and it doesn't fade -

BRILLANTE i say - icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

PuffCake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

I made black fondant for the very first time tonight. I made marshmallow fondant and added the Americolor super black to the melted marshmallows just as Puffcake said. Easy!

Hooray makeminepink!!!!! I'm so glad you tried it and got to see how easy it is thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

lujauna Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #15 of 18

Which recipe did you use?

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 18

I used Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow fondant without the lemon extract. It takes a fair amount of color-- more than other lighter colors of course, but not a huge amount like I thought. Too bad someone doesn't have time to do an experiment and find out just exactly how much it takes. I made it last night at the shop, so I'm anxious to see if it darkened like they say. It was just a little lighter than I wanted, but everyone said it would darken so I didn't want to add any more color than necessary. Several people act like it's a nightmare or something, so I was nervous, but it was fine. I didn't see PuffCake's message first or I wouldn't have been as worried. It's easy though-- try it!

PuffCake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujauna

Which recipe did you use?

The recipe I use is not specifically from here, just a basic recipe I got off the internet awhile back by doing a google search for marshmallow fondant.

16 oz mini marshmallows
2T water
1-2 tsp flavoring(s) of your choice
2 lbs. powdered sugar

Add the water to the MM and melt in the microwave in 30 second incrememts, stirring in between. When fully melted, transfer to Kitchen Aid mixer bowl and add flavoring(s) and food color. Mix. Gradually mix in sugar using the dough hook, but I never add the full 2 lbs...somewhere between 3/4 of the bag and the whole bag. May need just a bit of kneading to get it nice and smooth and into a ball. Store at room temp tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, then ziploc bag with air squeezed out. By the way, I grease everything with Crisco throughout the whole process...the bowl for melting MM, spoon, spatula, mixer bowl, dough hook, countertop and my hands when kneading.

icon_smile.gif

lujauna Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you so much. You have all been so helpful. I am ready to try to make Black fondant now. Wish me luck lol. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%