Smooth Fondant

Decorating By kim4658 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 3:49am by Rylan

kim4658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim4658 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to use satin ice fondant on a cake. I know to cover the cake first with a thin layer of buttercream icing before I cover it with the fondant. How do I get the cake to have the smooth finish. I have tried several things in the past and the cake usually don't turn out perfectly smooth. PLEASE HELP.........

4 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 5

to start, i always like to ensure my buttercream layer is smooth. Having a smooth crusted layer of Buttercream will be like the starting worksurface for your fondant, the smoother that is, the easier your fondant should be to work with it. Try not to roll your fondant too thin, i find that this can show up more lumps and bumps rather than a thicker layer of fondant. Do you have a smoother tool? i find this is the trick to get a really smooth fondant.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 5

First off, your buttercream layer needs to be very smooth - any imperfections will show through the fondant. Second, go to youtube and watch this video!

They use ganache for covering their cakes instead of buttercream. If you are using buttercream, you don't have to use syrup or anything to brush on the cake to help the fondant stick.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 5

the first one i made i put to much buttercream and it was really lumpy not matter how much i smoothed it, alot if people will let their cake sit for awhile, and some have said they put something on top of the cake like a 12x12 ceramic tile they had left over from doing their bathroom to help with side bulging hope this helps,

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

Make sure you have a nice base, that is where it starts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%