Does Anyone Use Buttercream Without Crisco?

Decorating By mommybrooke Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 4:43am by zdebssweetsj

mommybrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybrooke Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 20

I know most of the recipes I see on here and see people talking about use crisco. I just hate the taste/texture though. I use one that is just butter. (I am talking about the plain butter, powdered sugar, vanilla one...) Is this okay to use a lot? I usually just ice and decorate the day before and leave it out on the counter... is that okay? How about this kind of icing holding up outdoors? My sister is getting married in October and it will be outside and she wants me to do her cake. We live in TN so it will be who knows what temperature, but it won't be TOO hot.
Anyways sorry for the ramble just wondering if anyone uses this kind a lot and can help me out any!!
Thanks!!

19 replies
cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 20

I have used the all butter recipe several times. You just need to be sure it will not be in the heat, it won't hold up.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 20

I use butter only in all of my BC recipes, but if you're worried about the heat, you can do a 50-50 shortening & butter mix.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 20

I use all butter, and only butter. The heat is not an issue for me though, since I live in the North!!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybrooke

I know most of the recipes I see on here and see people talking about use crisco. I just hate the taste/texture though. I use one that is just butter. (I am talking about the plain butter, powdered sugar, vanilla one...) Is this okay to use a lot? I usually just ice and decorate the day before and leave it out on the counter... is that okay? How about this kind of icing holding up outdoors? My sister is getting married in October and it will be outside and she wants me to do her cake. We live in TN so it will be who knows what temperature, but it won't be TOO hot.
Anyways sorry for the ramble just wondering if anyone uses this kind a lot and can help me out any!!
Thanks!!

I hated the taste/texture of my Crisco buttercream too so I switched to Alpine which is a high-ratio shortening. Another brand is Sweetex which I have not used. It makes buttercream creamier, tastier and less greasy. It's pretty stable at warm temps, more so than butter. You can get it at cake decorating shops and online. I love it. I'll never go back to Crisco. Sometimes I use all Alpine, sometimes half Alpine, half butter. Good Luck!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 20

Thats so funny. I use to make my buter cream with all crisco, and they all loved it. Now I decided some time ago I didn't like all that crisco and made it half butter, and now they really go crazy for it. I don't have any gripe about crisco, and hope I never find out what all the dissing on it is about. I think one time it got too creamy and so I just added a bit more ps, and that fixed it. I don't know maybe people around here don't know what tastes good ahaha.

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #7 of 20

HI-RATIO shortening all the way!! thumbs_up.gif Once you've tried it, you'll NEVER go back!! It's like night and day...and you don't have to worry about it staying out in the heat or just sitting there! It's sooo wonderful! icon_lol.gif I'm a believer...I'll never go back to Crisco, unless in EXTREME emergencies ( I have to order my Sweetex online) icon_smile.gif

HTH icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #8 of 20

Yep....nasTEE! Hi ratio, like Sweetex when I need a shortening based icing, amazing stuff. Otherwise, SMBC, an all butter meringue style icing. Very good!

madgeowens Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #9 of 20

lol we like nast-tee around here I reckon .......don't want to be spoiling them

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #10 of 20

Sorry Madge.....that wasn't very polite of me. I forget to say it's nasty to me, I know there are peeps who still swear by it. If I could mail some Sweetex to everyone....

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #11 of 20

I use all butter too, I just like the taste better!

madgeowens Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:02am
post #12 of 20

lol jamie....I would use those things if we could find them around this one horse town lol........but I hate freight charges.....I can't quit eating it now, I don't dare make it any better haha

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 20

Won't using all butter in the heat melt your cake into a pile?? icon_confused.gif

Dacila77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dacila77 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 20

Not a fan of Crisco here or even the high ration shortening ~ don't like the "lip balm" effect after, lol!! Butter is pricey too so I use block white margarine and add some butter flavour ~ haven't had any complaints!! I live in Canada so, not sure what's available to you girls in the states!!

P.S ~ I only make fondant cakes and I only use it under my MMF and as a filling though so, not sure if it would melt in the elements!!

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 20

Not if you take care of it and know the proper temp to keep a cake in.A lot of us do it all the time.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 20

shortening = gross

butter = good

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

shortening = gross

butter = good

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif 'Buttercream' made with shortening (even partly), is nothing short of vomit-inducing IMO!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 20

I use all butter for my fillings and icing ( sorry we are taste snobs),and use the high-ratio shortening for my damn, flowers and borders. I've only recently been able to get the high-ratio shortening. So far I'm very happy with it, but it's still rather price. But you still have to watch out for the heat, I had two major melt downs this summer, during transport.

mommybrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybrooke Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:12am
post #19 of 20

Thanks for so many replies!! icon_smile.gif
So what temp is too much for this kind....and a meltdown yikes that scares me so much! If that happened is there anything you can do about it?
What is the longest it could be outside in a relatively mild temperature? Sorry for so many questions!!! icon_eek.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:43am
post #20 of 20

The worst melt down was a grooms choc cake, Ac in my car wasn't working well it was in the high 90's. The grooms cake collapsed when we went over the speed humps. Total loss I had to run to Wal-mart and buy two plain sheet cakes 10cups of choc icing and strawberries and a spatula ($102.00). I had 45 minutes to make a grooms cake! Luckily the brides cake was covered in fondant, just had minor damage to the back side. The grooms cake broke my heart I had spent about 12 hrs on it . The brides cake is posted in my pic Lavender Roses and calla lilies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%