Covering A Masonite Board W/fondant?

Decorating By gwright0906 Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:50am by PinkZiab

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 6

Has anybody ever tried to cover a masonite cake board with fondant?? If so, how did you get the fondant to stick to the board??

Thank you!!
Gina

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 6

I just smear the board with shortening... works like a charm! Also I do it at leat 1-2 days before I need it so the fondant is nice and dry and I don't have to worry about messing it up when I go to stack the cake.

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much icon_biggrin.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #4 of 6

I just did one for the first time and I didn't use anything on the board to help it stick. I just kept smoothing it out towards the edge with a fondant smoother until the excess fondant got cut by the edge of the board, then I trimmed. Held on its own. I will do this a day ahead next time so it doesn't ding when you stack the cakes.

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 6

Do you let the fondant hang over the sides and then trim it just as you would a cake or do you just cover the top. If the latter, then how do you handle the edge. My foam core is 1/4" thick. Not sure what I'd do with the edge?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

I just cover the top of the board and then trim the edge in matching ribbon (hot glued). Also, I cut a well out of the center of the fondant on the board the size of the bottom tier (leaving a 2" border all around). To me, it's a waste a fondant to cover the whole board if you're just going to put a cake on top of it and it won't be seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%