Eggs Whites Yes Or No In Wasc Cake? Which Do You Use?

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 1:40am by Teekakes

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 11

I noticed in kakeladis WASC recipe she uses whole eggs, where in many of the other WASC recipies they use egg whites. Which do you use? How does the egg white recipe alter the texture or taste? I want a light and fluffy cake and heavy and dense. Which way should I go?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 11

I use egg whites, because it makes your cake white, If you use whole eggs the yolks give it a yellow color, that is the difference, it is still the same recipe, and I started cutting back on my sugar by 1 cup because I find the cake to be too sweet, and a few of my friends told me the same thing, your cake is marvelous but it is really sweet

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 11

I use egg whites in my wasc and whole eggs in my yellow or chocolate wasc. I buy the whites only i the carton so I don't have to throw out all those yokes.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 11

I have only used the whites as well. It does make the cake really white, which is what I like! I hadn't thought to cut back the sugar though! I will have to try that one!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 11

I use the whole egg. I like the richness that it adds. And, I got tired of wasting the yolks (yes, I know they can be frozen, but I never use them)

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleezgal

I noticed in kakeladis WASC recipe she uses whole eggs, where in many of the other WASC recipies they use egg whites. Which do you use? How does the egg white recipe alter the texture or taste? I want a light and fluffy cake and heavy and dense. Which way should I go?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

This is my go-to cake and have made is many times using both egg white and whole eggs. The only difference is the color. If I need a white white cake I use only egg whites. If it doesn't matter that the batter is off white then I use whole eggs.
Both ways produce a fabulous cake for eating plain or carving into something spectacular! icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 11

I've done both, but truly, the whole eggs don't add much color if you use a white cake mix. This is absolutely my go-to recipe!

i-heart-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i-heart-cakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 11

When using whole eggs, how many do you use? If the recipe calls for 8 egg whites, do you use 4 whole eggs?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-heart-cakes

When using whole eggs, how many do you use? If the recipe calls for 8 egg whites, do you use 4 whole eggs?

I use it with whole eggs - 6 whole eggs equals 8 egg whites.

I love the taste and texture of the WASC with whole eggs. Yummm!!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 11

Ditto on the 6 eggs to 8 whites, and double ditto on the taste and texture!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #11 of 11

I use 8 for 8 without ever having an issue. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%