1St Grade Questions

Decorating By catloerch Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 2:52am by JanH

catloerch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catloerch Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 5

It is Tuesday night, I need a cake for Friday night. Can I make the cake tonight, put it in the fridge, tomorrow night, ice and put on the fondant, put back in fridge, thursday night decorate it, back in the fridge until the party on friday night? Is this too long in the fridge? any suggestions?

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 5

I think its too long in the fridge. A regular home fridge is not good for cakes and tends to dry them out. it's a relative humidity thing. However, you can bake to night and freeze it. Then I'd wait and pull it out Thursday, defrost, fondant and decorate.,

catloerch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catloerch Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much. If I bake cake tomorrow, will it be ok in fridge or should I still freeze? My biggest problem is the short time that I will have Thursday night to do it all. Will the fondant be ok on the cake if I put it on Wednesday night and decorate Thursday night? Serve on Friday night?

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 5

I think icing a frozen cake is easier and makes it moister than icing a refridgerated cake. I do it all the time and get raves about moistness. Just let it thaw and finish condensating before applying fondant.

so I would make it, freeze til I have time to ice it, put it back in fridge and fondant/decorate when you are ready.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

So I would make it, freeze til I have time to ice it, put it back in fridge and fondant/decorate when you are ready.

If you wish to refrigerate the iced cake for a few hours to firm up the b/c prior to applying the fondant that's fine. But there's no need to refrigerate an iced cake unless a perishable filling is used.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%