Covering A Round Cake With Fondant? Help?

Decorating By hacotter1 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:24am by hacotter1

hacotter1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hacotter1 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 4

[size=18]I am very new to using fondant, and thanks to the recommendation of someone on this message board, made some marshmallow fondant this evening and love it. I still have some questions though. Do I really need to buy an "easy glide smoother" to get a smooth look on my cake or is there any other techniques that work good? Also when covering the rounded cake, I have extra fondant on the side that overlaps where there is too much fondant, how do I correct this? Do I cut the excess and "patch" it together, and if so, how do I get rid of the seams?
For anyone who has used marshmallow fondant, how far in advance can I make it, and what is the best way to store it?
Thanks a bunch!!!

Another quick question, how far in advance can I make royal icing before using it ?

3 replies
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #2 of 4

I've made and stored RI in the fridge for a couple of weeks and reused it. Just stir it and add a drop more water to get to consistency you want.

As for the fondant, no you don't have to have the smoother. I actually do better with my hands alone. When draping, drape on the table and cup your hands around the base to tuck fondnant in as you go around with your hand. When it overlaps, I pull that out slightly and pat back in without the crease. It is hard to paint the picture in words, but you can find you tube demonstrations. I think Tonedna has one on there, but not positive she has one for round fondant cakes.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 4

It's hard to describe but this seemed to be a good video

hacotter1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hacotter1 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both. I just watched the video on you tube, and that helps a TON! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%