Please...need Quick Help W/mmf ???

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm by Deb_

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 7

Good Morning all,

I've exhausted the MMF topic on CC Forums & other websites, have a whole separate CAKES bookmark folder. I'm guessing maybe I need a separate folder for FONDANT now, lol. I cannot find the answers I need at the moment, so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I FINALLY made my 1st batch of MMF 2 days ago & I was very pleased, kicking myself for putting it off for too long. It tasted great & I was grinning very big at how nice & doughy & easy it felt to be able to work with. Used the typical recipe, 2 Tbsp water, bag of mm, but did NOT use entire bag of C&H cane pwdr sugar. I used enough to where I felt it was good enough to use. I rubbed the finished batch w/crisco, wrapped in S.Wrap, & put into ziploc bag for use the next day (yesterday).

1) It seemed somewhat stiffer, not as doughy as when first made, but I had no trouble coloring 3 small sections w/diff colors & using cutouts. However, later on in the day when I wanted to use the leftovers to cover my iced cake, I could no longer work w/it easily. Although I sprinkled my surface w/cornstarch, it was sticking & tearing in small pieces around the edges. Could that be because I did not use the entire bag of pwdr sugar?

2) The 3 small sections I colored (pink, brown & skin) tasted different than the day before when it was fresh. Perhaps, because I used glycerin to help w/pliability? Does that change the taste? Better to use crisco or glycerin for pliability?

3) How soon, after making a fresh MMF batch, can a buttercream iced cake be covered? Seems to me it would be much easier to cover immediately after kneaded....or does it NEED to set up for some time first?

Coloring MMF:
When is the best time? I know that it's best to color the mallows during the melting process if you only use 1 color. But, if you're using sev. diff. colors, can that be done when it is fresh & most pliable?

THANKS a MILLION for ANY help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Crystal
SAHMommy to Madison (9, HLHS), Natalie (5, healthy), Neveah (1, renal dysplasia - transplant soon - YEAH!), & 1 angel (m/c 11/15/0icon_cool.gif

6 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

You want to get it to a playdough consistancy. Make sure you are using the correct amount in pounds of powdered sugar give or take a cup depending on the humidity in your area. Add in about 1TBSP of shortning near the end before you coat it in shorntning to wrap it up. Yes it will always firm up more after sitting over night-just work it before using. Yes you can color when making it. It can take color at any stage-while melting, while still soft and not finished or after sitting. The flavor going away is something I have experienced. Wilton colors can affect taste so i switched to Americolor and couldn't be happier! I also double up on my flavors because they do tend to dissapate over time.

Try the Michele Foster's Fondant! Many people(including me) like it so much better.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 7

I have been working with MMf for the first time this year. So far for me and what I've read on the web and on CC, let your MMf rest for 12 hrs or over night. Next day I use crisco rubbed on my hands and lightly on my work surface to keep it from sticking. PS and cornstarch seems to make it stick to surface of what I roll it out on- wilton mat or silicone mat. It is best to use this MMF to cover a cake. I've read that older MMF is best used to making other things like flowers or in molds. As for coloring, some food color may change the taste depending on the brand and how much is used, especially for making fondant that have a darker color. Some reds colors can give a bitter taste. It is normal when you first make it and let rest, that it may be very stiff, just microwave for 10 seconds to soften it up. HTH
Hammy

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 7

An important step(several actually) for rolling out fondant is to roll a pass or two and then lift and move the fondant around and redust the fondant with cornstartch so it won't stick to the table. I wind up redusting several times because as you roll the cornstarch absorbes right into the back and then starts sticking to the table. It has happened more times then I can count that I was almost happy with the thickness and tried just to add a couple passes to finish it off without redusting and lifting, and sure enough it sticks every stinking time.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 7

I think I'm an odd-ball here but for me MMF is best when used right away...the only thing I can do w/stored or left over MMF is make small cut-outs etc for detailing but then I always have to add more criso and microwave and etc...anyway, I always cover my cakes w/ fresh MMF...i don't let it set.

I always have a hard time colorng my MMF after it's been made so i always color as melting MM before adding CS......if i need multiple colros which I always do then I just make small batches for each color instead of making one big batch.

The only time my MMF taste weird is when using a lot of red. I use Wilton No taste Red and that helps a lot w/ the bitter taste that regular red coloring leaves.

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 7

THANKS sooo much!!! Exactly what I needed to hear! Now, wish me luck while I attempt to work with the batch that's already made before I decide to make another.

Crystal
SAHMommy to Madison (9, HLHS), Natalie (5, healthy), Neveah (1, renal dysplasia - transplant soon - YEAH!) & 1 angel (m/c 11/15/0icon_cool.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 7

I didn't read the other answers thoroughly so if this was already said I apologize (I'm baking and CC'ing LOL!)

Try putting it in the microwave for 10 second intervals to soften it up then kneed it again being careful for hot spots from the microwave.

I just used up a batch from last week and it was perfect after I nuked it.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%