Wedding Cake Help?

Decorating By hacotter1 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:50am by JanH

hacotter1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hacotter1 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 2

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:06 PM (NEW!)

I am making my friends wedding cake Sept that. I have done 2 wedding cakes before this, but they were a little simpler. This will be the cake from the Wilton Course 3 book that is covered in fondant with royal icing Petunias cascading down the side(they are a corral color on the wilton cake) that is two layers, I wish I had the page number in front of me to tell you. Anyway, I am doing the decorating similar to this, but with white petunias with deep purple centers and pearl stamens. It will be a 14" & 10" stacked and then a 6" on the pillars. I am going to make a few 10" cakes to sit in the back for extra servings. How many extras should I make, I need to feed 160 people, and it is a cake and punch only reception, so this is the sole source of food!? Also if you look at the picture of the cake in the course 3 book the edges of the cake at the top look very rounded off, how do I achieve this? And my last question is, the last few cakes I baked came out very heavy and dense from my oven. They were extremely moist and actually had water coming out of them after a few days. Any ideas of what could cause this? What is the best way to get a fluffy/airy cake? Thanks in advance for your help!

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:50am
post #2 of 2

A 6/10/14 cake will yield 12/38/78 servings unless the top tier is going to be saved by the bride and groom.

If so, the total is 38/78 for a total of 116 wedding servings of 1x2x4.

A 9x13x4 kitchen cake will yield an additional 50 servings for a grand total of 166 wedding size servings.

If it's your goal to use cake to "feed" 160 guests you could switch to party size servings of 1-1/2x2x4 so your cake would now yield 23/63 for a total of 86 party servings.

A 12x18x4 kitchen cake will yield an additional 72 servings for a grand total of 158 party servings. (Or you could make two 13x9x4 for an additional 90 servings - grand total 176 party servings.)

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%