Wedding Cake Help?

Decorating By hacotter1 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:50am by JanH

hacotter1 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 2

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:06 PM (NEW!)

I am making my friends wedding cake Sept that. I have done 2 wedding cakes before this, but they were a little simpler. This will be the cake from the Wilton Course 3 book that is covered in fondant with royal icing Petunias cascading down the side(they are a corral color on the wilton cake) that is two layers, I wish I had the page number in front of me to tell you. Anyway, I am doing the decorating similar to this, but with white petunias with deep purple centers and pearl stamens. It will be a 14" & 10" stacked and then a 6" on the pillars. I am going to make a few 10" cakes to sit in the back for extra servings. How many extras should I make, I need to feed 160 people, and it is a cake and punch only reception, so this is the sole source of food!? Also if you look at the picture of the cake in the course 3 book the edges of the cake at the top look very rounded off, how do I achieve this? And my last question is, the last few cakes I baked came out very heavy and dense from my oven. They were extremely moist and actually had water coming out of them after a few days. Any ideas of what could cause this? What is the best way to get a fluffy/airy cake? Thanks in advance for your help!

1 reply
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:50am
post #2 of 2

A 6/10/14 cake will yield 12/38/78 servings unless the top tier is going to be saved by the bride and groom.

If so, the total is 38/78 for a total of 116 wedding servings of 1x2x4.

A 9x13x4 kitchen cake will yield an additional 50 servings for a grand total of 166 wedding size servings.

If it's your goal to use cake to "feed" 160 guests you could switch to party size servings of 1-1/2x2x4 so your cake would now yield 23/63 for a total of 86 party servings.

A 12x18x4 kitchen cake will yield an additional 72 servings for a grand total of 158 party servings. (Or you could make two 13x9x4 for an additional 90 servings - grand total 176 party servings.)

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above superthread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%