Non-3D Non-Cake Camera Or Bass Guitar

Decorating By overindulged Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm by overindulged

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 3

Long time lurker--first time poster! icon_smile.gif

I was asked to do an anniversary cake from the wife for her husband. He has a photography business and play bass guitar for a local band. She had wanted to do a 3D camera (much like Nikon ones in the gallery.) I just don't have time or the patience to do a very complicated carved cake (or dummy-see below) right now... any ideas?

OH and to throw a wrench into the deal, her husband don't like cakes *GASP!* but he loves my fondant work. The wife even said a dummy cake would be okay. LOL. maybe cupcakes? RKT?

I'm a very visual person so if there are examples out there that you guys have done, or have seen a other pics, it would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 3

I actually made a nikon camera once and it was one of the easiest cakes I've done. I baked the lense in ramekins and the rest was baked in a loaf pan, I cut it into thirds and layered it. It was really small, only needed to feed 5 people but you might want to give it a try. It really was very easy.

edited: I tried to add a picture but for whatever reason it won't attach. I can email you the pic if you decide to do something carved, just PM me. I might try and add it to my pictures too... I haven't uploaded any pics in a while.

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the offer... I'm still unsure of carving a cake (or dummy cake for that matter) and all the details of a Nikon camera (I am pretty anal about the tiniest details).

I've seen 2D fondant guitar shapes on the sides of cakes, but I haven't seen 2D fondant shapes like a (Nikon-type) camera.

But I've been looking at his facebook page and I've been mulling over ideas... I can do fondant/gumpaste figures well in advanced if I planned it out right (I have a day job and a toddler as well). Maybe a 4-6" figure of my friend with a (small) camera and a bass guitar both hanging from his neck... like a balancing act... maybe create a toddler (his son) hanging from his leg. LOL.

How long does fondant figures last? weeks? months? especially if the wife asks for a dummy cake so that they can enjoy at my "masterpiece" as she calls for a long time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%