Petal Dust On Buttercream

Decorating By FleurDeCake Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm by indydebi

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:52am
post #1 of 14

Hi I am new to cake decorating and I have used petal dust on fondant and gumpaste, but I was wondering in I could use petal dust to paint on crusted buttercream. I would like to be able to do some shading. Not yet able to air brush. any and all help would be really appreciated.

13 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 14

Everything you ever wanted to know about the various dusts:
(And how to use them.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

HTH

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #3 of 14

There is a lady on the forum called Thanh Thanh who does amzing work with buttercream. She also gets her buttercream work looking all pearly and shiny. It might be worth checking out her work for inspiration.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:30am
post #4 of 14

I'd like to check out Thanh Thanh's work, but how do you search for a person? I entered the name into the search engine, but only came up with a copy of her cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:37am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

I'd like to check out Thanh Thanh's work, but how do you search for a person? I entered the name into the search engine, but only came up with a copy of her cake.

How to search:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-636562-.html

HTH

CakeWhizz Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:49am
post #6 of 14

Many thanks for coming to the rescue yet again JanH!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:29am
post #7 of 14
Quote:

Click on "member list" (in the small list under the tabs at the top of the page). Then enter the name in the box.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 14

Thanh Thanh's work is amazing.
I remember searching her and threads about her work when i first joined.
she said she gets the pearly effect on her buttercream by airbrushing it (the entire cake) with pearl luster.

if you don't have an airbrush (i don't.....yet, lol), you can use the pme luster spray can (love this stuff!).

diane

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 14

Oh my gosh, I used the lustre dust spray the other day and it was fantastic!

letsgetcaking Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you for the help, JanH and Indydebi. I was able to find the member list tab and searched for Thanh Thanh there, but the results said, "Sorry, but that user does not exist." Maybe she changed her user name. Her cakes do sound beautiful, though.

letsgetcaking Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you, CakeWhizz. The links worked. Wow, her cakes really are beautiful, and they look so perfect! I figured out why her name didn't come up in the search. I put a space in the middle of the name instead of "ThanhThanh."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:

Thank you for the help, JanH and Indydebi. I was able to find the member list tab and searched for Thanh Thanh there, but the results said, "Sorry, but that user does not exist." Maybe she changed her user name. Her cakes do sound beautiful, though.

Just put "Thanh" in the search field. Her name is written with no space between the two names, so if you entered it with a space, it wouldn't come up. In a search field, the fewer words, sometimes the better the search.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%