Dash Figurine (Incredibles Movie)?

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 2:39am by mommyto4

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 10

making a Dash (character from The Incredibles movie) figurine? My son wants Dash running on the water for his birthday cake next month and am looking for all the help I can get. TIA!

9 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 10

bump

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:17am
post #3 of 10

I can't help much other than to tell you what I do (be warned, I have an art background!) - I just print out many different pics of the character needed, and then I Go For It!

For basic figure modeling advice, I would say: use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste and give yourself plenty of time - like, a week or more. Start with the legs and let them dry rock hard. Make sure you've placed either spaghetti or toothpicks in them to give them something to anchor into the next layer. Skewers are good because they are long and will extend into the cake to anchor it there too. Although: I often twist it periodically as the figure dries, to keep the skewer from being in the figure permanently...otherwise when you take the character off your cake, you'll never be able to stand it on anything with toothpicks sticking out the bottom (does that make sense?) Spaghetti is good but can soften so isn't always going to help for anchoring into the cake.

Torso next. Attach with gum glue or sometimes a wet piece of gumpaste is better for stability. Make sure there is a hole in the neck area for a toothpick for the head. Dry. Add arms; be sure to hollow out an area a bit for where the hands are going to go. Dry. Add head. Dry. Then decorate with whatever - hair, face, add clothes if needed (Dash was wearing a bodysuit so his torso could prob. just be red) etc.

Not every figure will take this long or need so many steps - also it depends on how big he is. If he's rather small than this info is probably overkill; I made a gumpaste Naruto (anime character) who was over 6" tall so he was big, heavy and took 9 days to make. I just like this technique for standing figures so that the legs can dry and be good support.

I know that's not tons of help since most of it is more about the procedure than the modeling itself, but hopefully there will be something useful in there icon_smile.gif

p.s. you can make him now if you want! Just store him away from sunlight.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:35am
post #4 of 10

Ceshell has given you some excellent advice. When I did my Winnie the Pooh characters I winged it but did very similar to what ceshell said. I propped in front of me some winnie the pooh toys I had so I could get the proportions somewhat accurate. I didn't have all the characters so I looked up a couple of them in my kids books.

If you've never worked with gp figures I'd recommend checking out aine2's videos on youtube. This way you can get a visual on what ceshell was explaining to you.

Here's a link to all her free youtube video's (you can purchase additional tutorials on her website that are pretty inexpensive):

Good luck!

mommyto4 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 10

Thank you sooo much ceshell and xstitcher. That gives me a start. Now to make sure that's what he really wants and isn't going to change his mind between now and then.

xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4

Now to make sure that's what he really wants and isn't going to change his mind between now and then.

Now ain't that the truth. I have the same issue here with my kiddos. My now 5 year old for his 5th birthday started putting in requests 7 months in advance (right after his older brother's bday). Right up until the last minute he kept changing his mind and in the end I just told him I'd surprise him. He was happy with the cake but then again what kid isn't? icon_lol.gif

Good luck!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:17am
post #7 of 10

LOL, that is funny. I reached a point 3 weeks out from my DD's birthday where I said: ok, you said you want this theme - this is it, last chance to change your mind. Besides, you sure don't want to be planning party invites and decorations four days before the party icon_biggrin.gif. I found that what really helped keep her from changing her mind was when I took her to the store to buy some themed stuff. At that point she was "committed"thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:17am
post #8 of 10

I think I'll have to try that for him next time. Now my daughter on the other hand thinks it's her bday every week. Every time she sees me on CC (infact I usually have a line up behind/beside me) looking at pics she starts putting her orders in even though I tell her that her bday isn't until March. Anytime it's anybody's birthday she thinks it's hers too! icon_lol.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4

making a Dash (character from The Incredibles movie) figurine? My son wants Dash running on the water for his birthday cake next month and am looking for all the help I can get. TIA!

Hi mommyto4! I just made a Dash cake a couple of weeks ago for my son. I modeled him out of marshmallow fondant and I am pretty pleased with how he turned out. I used a picture from a napkin to go by. He's only the second figure I've made. It was pretty easy. I also made some cupcakes with the Incredibles Logo. I just uploaded the pics to my photos if you want to take a look. I'll try to upload them here, but I sometimes have trouble with that. Good luck!
LL
LL
LL
LL

mommyto4 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #10 of 10

Those cupcakes and the cake are really good puffcake. Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%