Why Is Fondont So Shiny On Cake?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm by sweetcakes

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 7

Why is my MMF so shiny when I finish the cake. It looks wet. What am I doing wrong.

6 replies
sarahjane83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahjane83 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 7

hmm... sorry can't really help. the biggest problem i've had with MMF is that it looks really dry and cracked when i put it on the cake. but i'm going to start trying to roll it out on crisco instead of cornstarch. do you think you're using enough powdered sugar? maybe someone else will be able to help. good luck!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 7

Are you using shortening to roll out your fondant?

mom2my3girlz Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 7

yes. I use Crisco and some powdered surgar to roll it out. Do you think maybe it is because the cake was frozen?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 7

Crisco can make it shiny. Also if it's really humid in your house that can make shiny fondant...the Dora cake in my photos was made when my air conditioner was out and it was really shiny.

Sometimes if you roll it with crisco, the shine will go away after a few hours.

A frozen cake can also get condensation on the fondant, which will be shiny, but that should evaporate after a few hours. You can set the cake in front of the fan to speed it up. Don't touch it while it's wet or it will get smudges.

I usually roll my fondant on a vinyl mat with cornstarch. That gives it a nice matte finish. I used to use crisco and it's really good to use while you're learning, but after a while you may get too fussy about your fondant to like the look of it when you've rolled it with crisco.

mom2my3girlz Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much. I didn't know you can use cornstarch. I will try that next time. I lie the matte finish much better. Thanks

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 7

How did your MMF do after the cake thawed completely? I did this once, put fondant on a frozen cake and as the cake thawed the fondant became a gummy mess and i had to scrap it all off, that is what hadn't plopped off by then. Ive never done it again. But i have covered a cake that had set up in the fridge, jsut to firm it up. The fondant goes shiny but then dries and is matt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%