Tutorial On My 'bed' Cake

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 12:23am by tracycakes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 3

I will try to include a picture wit this post, but if it doesn't attach, it is the bed cake in my photos.

Several days before, I created a template for the headboard out of cardboard. I marbled brown fondant/gumpaste mixture for a woodgrain look and cut out the headboard to dry for a couple of days. In the future, I would probably make it out of pastillage.

I also made the Bible, mints and houseshoes out of gumpaste.

For the cake, I stacked 2 9x13 sheet cakes. I covered them with white fondant and immediately used the ball tool to define a line between the mattress and springs.

For the quilt, I cut 3 sides of a piece of white fondant with fmm frill cutter. I laid it across the bed where the folded down sheet would start.

Using patchwork cutters, I cut out all of the individual patchwork pieces out of fondant. Each cutter had a different color fondant. I laid them one individually so that that it would have a little design. I didn't go all the way down the sides because my fondant had stretched a little so I stopped.

For the folded down sheet, I just cutt a small strip of fondant and folded one end and placed it on. For the lace on the sheet as for the bedskirt and pillow, I used one of the fmm frill cutter sets and attached it. On each piece, you can't see it but I made little seam marks with the Wilton marking tool. The pillows are just shaped pieces of solid fondant with lace attached at the end.

I attached the lettering and attached the headboard with royal icing. It wasn't really hard to do and I got to use quite a few 'toys'. Thanks for looking!

2 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 3

Thank you so much for the tutorial. The bed is beautiful! icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #3 of 3

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%