Cake Fell In Transportation... What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Marniela Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm by tarheelgirl

Marniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marniela Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 12

So I basically had everyone's worst nightmare. I made a beautiful black and white fondant wedding cake. It was 4 tiers, 6,8, 10 and 12 inches. I stacked it the night before using bubble tea straws and a center dowel through all tiers. I did drill a small hole in the center of my cake boards (cardboard foil kind) to allow the dowel to slide through. I have done 3 tiered cakes like this before and not had a problem in delivery.

Delivery was just shy of an hours drive. In the last 10 minutes, my husband who was driving, hit the brakes for a stop light and we were on a hill sloping down-- the top 3 tiers fell over and smashed pretty bad.

In the end, the chef at the restaurant and myself were able to salvage 2 of the tiers and we tried to make it look as nice as possible. We used some of the wedding flowers for the top to cover the dowel marks.

Here's my question... what did I do wrong? I know others delivery their cakes stacked all the time. Should I not have drilled holes in my cake boards? Should I have "glued" the tiers together? Any advice would help!!

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 12

Honestly, if the brakes are being put on hard, you're lucky to have any of the cake survive.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 12

Oh, I'm so sorry that happened to your cake!!
The very best system for transporting stacked cakes that I've used is SPS--I use it to drive over horrible, and I do mean horrible, Oklahoma country roads, always at least 30 minutes and often 1 1/2 hours. The biggest problem I ever had was a tiny little curlique falling off (and that had nothing to do with the support system!). I just won't use anything else again. The peace of mind is worth $$$$ and the system itself is not expensive at all.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 12

that is a worst nightmare. personally i travel with the cake in pieces and then stack at the venue for anything more than 2 tiers. all my 2 tiered birthday cakes, christening cakes etc are fine and very sturdy but a wedding cake is different and so much more stress plus bigger and higher individual tiers so that last thing i would want is to try and drive with it stacked.

Marniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marniela Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks everyone. I will definitely be doing some things differently! I just looked into the SPS system and I only saw it for round tiers. Does anyone know if you can use it with squares?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 12

What happened you say? Hitting the brakes is what happened. That about sums it up. So sorry this happened to you.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 12

What kind of cake boards are you using that have to drill thru them? Unless they are masonite, you drive that dowel thru them without a drilled hole. Part of what keeps the integrity. The snug fit all the way thru. A predrilled hole isn't gonna help that.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 12

Absolutely switch to SPS. And yes, the plates do come in square, and heart. And have the cake sitting on non-skid mat of course, I have had to throw on the brakes and I have not had a cake slip at all.

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 12

I have to join in the sps chorus. Yesterday as my husband was carrying the 3 tier cake to the car, he turned to speak to my son and tilted it. It then traveled down my 1800 foot gravel driveway, arrived at the venue and was driven over a curb and down a sidewalk to get to the door. All in the back of my mother's blazer which rides like a mule wagon. Yeah it works.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkait

I have to join in the sps chorus. Yesterday as my husband was carrying the 3 tier cake to the car, he turned to speak to my son and tilted it. It then traveled down my 1800 foot gravel driveway, arrived at the venue and was driven over a curb and down a sidewalk to get to the door. All in the back of my mother's blazer which rides like a mule wagon. Yeah it works.

At first, I thought you meant when he turned to speak with you, it tipped and rolled down the driveway! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif Pretty good length of roll, if I do say so myself. Should enter him into the Cake Olympics! Long distance cake rolling.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkait

At first, I thought you meant when he turned to speak with you, it tipped and rolled down the driveway! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif Pretty good length of roll, if I do say so myself. Should enter him into the Cake Olympics! Long distance cake rolling.

That's what I thought she meant too at first LOL!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 12

I have used SPS for a while now. Never any issues.. in fact you know that sick nervous feeling you get when delivering cakes.. since switching to SPS delivery is so smooth! I am so confident that there won't be issues it makes it so much easier.

Sorry this did happen to you but at least you were able to salvage some of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%