Attaching Fabric Ribbon To Cake

Decorating By Getus Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm by ktbug

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 15

I apologize for asking what I am certain has been answered on here numerous times...but...I have extremely slow dial up and I have already spent over an hr searching this site for my answer...so here it is:
How does everyone attach their fabric ribbon to a buttercream frosted cake? And... what is the best way to avoid staining of the ribbon from the fats in the frosting? Any answers/suggestions will be truly appreciated! thumbs_up.gif
Carla

14 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 15

You can cut contact paper to fit the ribbon and then put it on the back of the ribbon. That way the grease won't stick to it.

I would just use a little bit of buttercream (under the ribbon) or RI to glue the ribbon to the cake.

cakes_are_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_are_fun Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 15

I use contact paper and sticky backed velcro dots. Works wonders!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:51am
post #4 of 15

You can put contact paper on the back as pp(s) stated, or you could iron on wax paper to the ribbon (put brown paper bag, paper etc between the wax and the iron), or you could put bc on the ribbon before hand so that it absorbs the grease evenly and then you won't have to worry about it showing grease in only some spots. You can use double sided tape, some RI, melted chocolate etc to fasten. You may want to use a small pin if you use RI until it sets and remove it as soon as it sets.

cakes_are_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_are_fun Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 15

I have tried waxed paper before but it changes the color of the ribbon and that is often not something that is pleasing to the person ordering the cake.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 15

Trying not to get grease on the ribbon seems like a loosing battle to me. I always just let the grease soak into the ribbon, but for this reason I don't really like putting ribbon on BC. Either way, I use hot glue to attach the two ends. I don't trust icing as glue- when I tried to do it this way it kept popping up. You have to use the glue before the ribbon gets greasy though. Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

chleonard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chleonard Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 15

the cake bible says to use waterproof or grease resistant ribbon. has anyone tried that? i wonder if that ribbon is hard to find...? i have to do use ribbon for a cake in October and was also wondering the best way to apply the ribbon.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 15

Where can I find contact paper?

xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 15

Normita, one place you can get it at is Walmart. Look in the aisle where they keep liners for shelves.

Here's a pic:
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=3207&es=18734220000W&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=weblink&utm_campaign=froogle&cvsfa=408&cvsfe=2&cvsfp=3207

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 15

i have done MANY cakes with ribbon. Never had any staining. I will frost the cake, let crust then smooth over. Let it sit for 4 hours or overnight if possible. Then the next morning put ribbon on. If you put it on while frosting is still sticky it will stain, so just wait. This method has always worked for me.

Normita Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Normita, one place you can get it at is Walmart. Look in the aisle where they keep liners for shelves.

Here's a pic:
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=3207&es=18734220000W&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=weblink&utm_campaign=froogle&cvsfa=408&cvsfe=2&cvsfp=3207

Oh...I see!! So, you would peel off the contact paper and attach the sticky side to the fabric and then apply it to the cake??

xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:48am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:

Here's a pic:

Oh...I see!! So, you would peel off the contact paper and attach the sticky side to the fabric and then apply it to the cake??

You got it!

Normita Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:

Here's a pic:

You got it!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #14 of 15

Indydeb told me once that she just waits till the butter cream is crusted over and she doesn't have a problem, but if she is in a rush job just rubbs crisco all over the ribbon then you have no grease stains

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #15 of 15

When I used ribbon i put clear shipping tape on the back so the grease doesn't soak through. I also heard that you can spray the side touching the cake with the waterproof stuff for shoes. As for attaching the end of the ribbon i used double sided tape and it worked fine! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%