Hot Weather Frosting

Decorating By LGL Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm by poohsmomma

LGL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LGL Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 4

Help! I live in Texas where it is currently 95-100 degrees hot all summer. My house is probably around 77 degrees.

I just made a cake with SMBC icing, put it in the fridge overnight to firm up and then covered with fondant. The following day, the fondant had started to sag. I think that the SMBC gets so soft in this heat that the entire cake compresses from the weight of the fondant.

I love SMBC -- any suggestions for another frosting or a trick to make SMBC more firm?

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 4

I can only suggest the Wilton buttercream which you will find on their site. I use it for teaching cake decorating because it is all crisco with no butter and stands up to hot hands holding icing bags for a long time. I personally don't like to use crisco but have had to in some cases. icon_sad.gif Most people don't know the difference because they are used to eating icings on baked goods from grocery stores which is pretty much the same as the crisco recipe, unless it's a high end bakery you don't often see real butter or cream products.
I know I hate to do it so if someone else has a better answer I'm all ears.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 4
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, I would go with Indydebi's BC like mjk350 suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%