I Need A Baby Blue Frosting

Decorating By Tess1957 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 2:18am by cakeflake80

Tess1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tess1957 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to match my decorating frosting to a ribbon. The ribbon is very close to baby blue. I bought electric blue and sky blue color gel ones to blue green and the other just slight to blue, how can I match baby blue?

9 replies
PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 10

I use Americolor gel colors too, but there are a few colors that I still prefer Wilton because Americolor doesn't have anything equivalent. Baby blue is one of them...I use Wilton cornflower blue and delphineum blue. They are both good, one is just a little darker than the other. I've never had any luck using a little bit of any other blue color to get light blue.

Tess1957 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 10

Puffcake,

Thank you so much. I think I may have some cornflower blue.

Tess

Tess1957 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 10

Now I will comment on your cake.....that had to be alot of work!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess1957

Now I will comment on your cake.....that had to be alot of work!

Yes, it was quite a project but totally worth it! It was for my son's 5th birthday and he LOVES race cars! He was thrilled!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 10

I've used the Wilton Royal blue, but just add a tiny bit of the color. If I need more, I add just a touch. You can always add more if needed.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 10

A drop of Electric Blue from Americolor works for me.

Tess1957 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 10

Hi I tried that, but it turned more blue green, I probably didn't have enough buttercream, I used Wiltons cornflower blue it was a closer match. Thank you so much though.

Tess

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 10

You will think this is crazy.....but add just a smidgen of black to your light blue. It makes that perfect "baby blue" color. I use just a bit of sky to get a pastel blue, then a very very small bit of black.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #10 of 10

I had this same problem a few months ago. I used delphinium blue from Wilton and as it dried it started to have a slight purple tint to it. Since it was late and I needed to do the cookies that night, I tried first using sky blue and then adding just a tiny amount of the delphinium blue to that. It worked perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%