Will Putting Cake In Fridge Help With Bleeding Colors?

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm by chillysmommy

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 7

all buttercream, it shouldn't hurt to put the finished cake in the fridge right? Will this help with the colored roses/leaves bleeding on to the white buttercream?

6 replies
kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 7

I am a newbie, so not sure about this but I thought the humidity of the fridge could bleed your colors more than if you were to leave it out. What kind of filling does the cake have?

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellie0406

I am a newbie, so not sure about this but I thought the humidity of the fridge could bleed your colors more than if you were to leave it out. What kind of filling does the cake have?

I am with you, any moisture will add to the bleeding, you need to dry it to prevent bleeding. If you have a cool spot rather than the fridge, it will be better. Once you take it out and the cake cools down the bleeding may be worse.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 7

unless your filling is perishable, there's no need to refrigerate the cake at all. According to numerous threads on here, refrigerating a cake actually speeds up the "going stale" process, so putting a cake in the refrigerator "to keep it fresh" actually makes it go stale faster.

chillysmommy Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 7

It's not to keep it fresh that I'm asking, it was to keep the buttercream stiffer in order to 'try' to prevent bleeding from the colored items. Thanks for the advice about the moisture. I think you may be right about it making it worse. Guess I'll have to take my chances and leave it out. THANKS!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, I see! Are you using a crusting buttercream? If so, air drying it outside of the 'frig will permit it to hold up better than refrigerating it. Bleeding is caused by moisture moving into a new area, but if the icing is crusted (dried), the moisture is somewhat removed from the surface area, and no bleeding will occur (or at least it's significantly diminished!)

chillysmommy Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 7

Yep, it's crusting. But the last time it bled, it was the same cream. The shortening seems to separate. Weird. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%