Has Anyone Tasted The Chocolate Chip Wasc

Decorating By Ruth0304 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm by Ruth0304

Ruth0304 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #1 of 11

If so... How good is it ? I'm doing a cake for a childs b-day party and I thought of doing one of the tiers as chocolate chip wasc

10 replies
cocobean Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 11

I've tried it in a large sheet cake and cupcakes. I thought it was pretty good but, I did hear a little boy say he thought it tasted like play dough. I'm not sure if I take that as a good thing or not. The cupcakes I've tried with vanilla bc that had a bunch of mini chocolate chips. They looked cool and tasted pretty good. Maybe someone else can give their opinion to...

Ruth0304 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 11

well.... I made it and did not like it. It tasted weird...will not be doing it again. Maybe that is why the lil boy said it tasted like playdough because it has a sweet but weird taste to it.

neelycharmed Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 11

I thought it was just me, but I wasn't a big fan of it either.
It sounds like it should be a winner, but maybe not.
I did use milk chocolate chips in my batter, don't know if that made a difference.
Jodi icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 11

Maybe he meant cookie dough not play dough? I haven't tried it yet but would think semi or bitter sweet chips would help cut the sweetness

cocobean Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 11

dandelion, maybe that little boy did mean cookie dough. That would make sense. Especially when that is what it is suppose to taste like. icon_lol.gif That would make me feel better anyway. icon_wink.gif

varika Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 11

I haven't done this with WASC, but I have made chocolate chip cakes before. I would recommend using all vanilla or vanilla and butter, and NOT almond, because almond extract and chocolate chips can do weird things together. I use the Nestle mini-morsels...my local cake store has another brand of mini-morsels I want to try next time. But the minis work out a LOT better than the full-sized things. Full-sized chocolate chips just wind up tasting awkward in a cake, I've found.

White chocolate chip cake is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE kind of cake, yum yum!

Ruth0304 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I haven't done this with WASC, but I have made chocolate chip cakes before. I would recommend using all vanilla or vanilla and butter, and NOT almond, because almond extract and chocolate chips can do weird things together. I use the Nestle mini-morsels...my local cake store has another brand of mini-morsels I want to try next time. But the minis work out a LOT better than the full-sized things. Full-sized chocolate chips just wind up tasting awkward in a cake, I've found.

White chocolate chip cake is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE kind of cake, yum yum!

Sounds Yummy. This is the recipe I used: perhaps I did something wrong?I mean It wasn't terrible but I would not make it again.

Chocolate Chip Cookie WASC - HeatherC
2 boxes yellow cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
6 eggs
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
4 teaspoons vanilla (or maybe a little rum or butterscotch for part of it?)
3 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips

varika Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0304

Sounds Yummy. This is the recipe I used: perhaps I did something wrong?I mean It wasn't terrible but I would not make it again.

2 boxes yellow cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teas. salt
6 eggs
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil

It's actually a lot better if you use white cake mixes and regular sugar. You some up with a cake that's a little more...delicate a flavor, so the chips can create more of a contrast. Up to you whether or not you want to use the whole egg or egg whites; I've done both. You might back off just a little on the vanilla, too--possibly 3 teaspoons instead of 4. I don't know about the rum or butterscotch; I ADORE vanilla, so I don't usually bother with anything else in a white cake.

DefyGravity Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 11

I made a chocolate chip WASC and it tasted amazing. I used mint extract, so maybe that spared me the overly sweet cake some have mentioned.

Ruth0304 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0304

2 boxes yellow cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teas. salt
6 eggs
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil

It's actually a lot better if you use white cake mixes and regular sugar. You some up with a cake that's a little more...delicate a flavor, so the chips can create more of a contrast. Up to you whether or not you want to use the whole egg or egg whites; I've done both. You might back off just a little on the vanilla, too--possibly 3 teaspoons instead of 4. I don't know about the rum or butterscotch; I ADORE vanilla, so I don't usually bother with anything else in a white cake.

Thanks for your tips, perhaps I will try that next time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%