Painting On Royal Icing

Decorating By slcoutu Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 11:57am by Makeitmemorable

slcoutu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slcoutu Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 6

I have made a cake topper out of Royal Icing, but it's not as red as I need it to be. Is there a way that I can paint it, or add colour to it at this point? Thanks for any help.....

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 6

if you have red petal dust (or lustre dust, if a metalic look is ok) will solve the problem, you can just dust it on.
you can also mix the dust with vodka, or dilute gel colours with it, and paint on.
xx

slcoutu Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 6

Unfortunately I don't have any red lustre dust, just white and silver. And all that I have red is Wilton colours, can I mix that with vodka or something to make a paint??

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 6

mix it with vodka, or any alcohol, and you can paint with it. i havent personally done it on ri, but im sure i have read it works fine, cause the alcohol evaporates so quickly. might be tricky getting a perfectly even finish though.
xx

slcoutu Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much.....fingers crossed!! icon_smile.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:57am
post #6 of 6

You can certaintly paint it on Royal Icing no problems, I have done it plenty of times before, don't drown it in the paint mixture and make sure the RI is dry before you start.

As mentioned, only mix it with alcohol because it does evaporate quicker and does not soak into the RI.

Best of luck,
Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%